93Ford Festiva Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 93Ford Festiva Problem

So I'm driving my Festiva and the car sputters and cuts off. I try to start it up again,but it wouldn't start. I let it sit for about 30 minutes to an hour and finally it did. I thought it was the fuel pump going bad because when it stopped it felt like a car running out of gas,but I was wrong. While driving again,this time it wouldn't start for an hour while I was stuck at a busy intersection. After the tow my mechanic check the fuel pump and just couldn't figure out what was wrong with it.Miraculously,again,the car starts and I drive it home and leave it there. What could be the problem? Can anyone help? I'm thinking about bring the car to Firestone and getting a full inspection for $100.

JCherisme35@yahoo.com
    Naples,FL

This should be in the Repair Help forum; but anyway, I'm guessing an issue with ignition; perhaps overheating then starting when it's cooled down enough.
    Last edited by TominMO; 08-23-2013, 07:15 PM.
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Thank you and I'm new. Ill post it in the repairs. I'm pretty sure it's not overheating

Comment

Ideas:
        Maybe a failed sensor such as engine temperature to ECU sender, failing ground somewhere (electrical resistance increases as the temperature increases).
        Engine temperature appears to be the trigger here. Things related to temperature, old plug wires, corroded batter cable connections, failing ground at fuel pump. Usually the sensor failures give warning before failing completely. Were you having other problems before this one that caused the engine to die completely. Has the engine been running worse when it heated up.

I'm sure someone here has had this same problem, hopefully will see you post and will pinpoint the exact cause.

Just remembered, it is even possible that it is the main fusible link going bad. I did have this problem once and
        I had driven about 35 miles on a very hot day. Corrision at the link caused failure when it got really hot under the hood.
        Last edited by 1990new; 08-23-2013, 07:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Speechless35 View Post
          Thank you and I'm new. Ill post it in the repairs. I'm pretty sure it's not overheating
          I am not talking about the coolant and motor overheating, but some electronic part, which you probably do not have any simple way of checking. I only mentioned this because it has happened to me in the past on various cars, and was either an aftermarket coil or the stock electronic module in my '90 CRX (which was replaced by the dealer for free under a recall).
          90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
          09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Working...
          X