Ignition timing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition timing

How to I set ignition timing if the mark is gone off of the crankshaft pulley?

It's there, just hard to see. It's just a little notch. When you find it, paint it white.
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Ignition timing

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
      It's there, just hard to see. It's just a little notch. When you find it, paint it white.
      All I saw was 3 small "dots" on the edge of the Pulley like . . .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      Last edited by logan; 08-26-2013, 10:44 PM.

Comment

If you can't find any marks, go to an auto parts store and ask for a positive stop. It's a thing that looks kind of like a long nut and a bolt except the nut has threads on the outside to screw in the spark plug hole. Screw the tool in the spark plug hole and turn the engine over by hand clockwise until the piston hits the postive stop. Using the pointer on your timing cover, make a mark on your crank pulley. Now rotate the crankshaft counter clockwise until the piston again hits the postive stop and make another mark. Carefully measure the distance between the two marks and make a permanent mark on the pulley at the exact center of the two marks. That will be TDC and you can then set your timing.
        You gonna race that thing?
        http://www.sdfcomputers.com/Festivaracing.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Festy46 View Post
          If you can't find any marks, go to an auto parts store and ask for a positive stop. It's a thing that looks kind of like a long nut and a bolt except the nut has threads on the outside to screw in the spark plug hole. Screw the tool in the spark plug hole and turn the engine over by hand clockwise until the piston hits the postive stop. Using the pointer on your timing cover, make a mark on your crank pulley. Now rotate the crankshaft counter clockwise until the piston again hits the postive stop and make another mark. Carefully measure the distance between the two marks and make a permanent mark on the pulley at the exact center of the two marks. That will be TDC and you can then set your timing.
          Could it also be called a "top dead center stop"?

Does anybody know what the 3 dots could be on the pulley?

Comment

Top dead center stop or positive stop are the same thing. I don't know about the 3 dots, I could always find a mark, usually like a narrow, shallow hacksaw cut.

Comment

Could that be the mark or is that where someone had hit it with something?

Could I line the timing gear up and make a mark on the pulley they turn it 360 and make another mark and then mark the middle?

Comment

It's hard to tell with the light reflecting off that area. I see what appears to be a little line at about the center of that ding on the pulley. That's about how big the mark would be, but I can't say for sure from the picture.

If you are talking about lining up the camshaft gear timing marks, you could do that as long as you turn the engine over by turning the crankshaft in normal direction and DON'T turn it backwards to get it lined up. As long as you are sure your timing belt/valve timing is correct, you don't need to do any measuring. When you have the camshaft marks lined up, look at the degree marks on the tab on the timing cover and make a mark on the pulley at the TDC mark on the tab. That wouldn't be perfect, but it would probably be within 2 or 3 degress.

Comment

When going back to take a picture I noticed 2 smaller marks and could see slight yellow on one. So now which so I need to watch of with the timing light?

Comment

Use the other mark. Don't use the yellow one to set the timing.

Comment

Working...
                    X