Not using a manifold heat shield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not using a manifold heat shield

Would this be a problem? When I went to remove my shield the bolts had not head so I have to cut it off. Would I be ok without one?

yea it doesnt need to be there just looks good if u can get a straight one and paint it nice
    93 L B6T DD http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=37751
    RIP_90 LuX http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=32249
    RIP 88 LX / B8-MEhttp://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=26398

RJ

Comment

Rusted-off heat shields litter the roadsides like garbage around here. None of my cars have ever had them remain intact after 10 years. I suppose they protect careless people from burning themselves, and reduce the radiant heat exposure to high tension wires and such, but 'no' you can live and drive quite well without them. I have.

Comment

Originally posted by Bert View Post
        Rusted-off heat shields litter the roadsides like garbage around here. None of my cars have ever had them remain intact after 10 years. I suppose they protect careless people from burning themselves, and reduce the radiant heat exposure to high tension wires and such, but 'no' you can live and drive quite well without them. I have.
        I just wasn't sure if it would cause too much heat on the plug wires or not.

Comment

On carburetted engines the heat shield supplies warm air to the air intake when the car first starts up which does something to help fuel efficiency.
          I don't know if the fuel injected engines have the same feature.
          Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Mine has been off of my 88 carb for a few years. Of course, it doesn't get really cold that much here, but I haven't had any problems.

Comment

mine also never had it; funny thing, never thought about it but could it help in the warming up in a carb???

Comment

Fordverde you are correct. It prevents possible icing of the carb on a cold start up. Once the engine warms up, the vacuum line running to the snorkel stops the warm air from the exhaust manifold.
                1960 willys pickup
                1967 jeep cj5

1988 festiva
                1989 festiva
                1990 festiva for parts
                1991 s-10

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" —Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Comment

Icing on the butterflies is only a problem when there is high humidity in the air and the temerature is just a degree or two above freezing. When the gas evaporates, it sucks the heat away right at the edge of the butterflies and ice forms from the water vapor in the air. This will cause the engine to stumble and die because that is where the idle bleed screw holes are located. You either waste gas by keeping your foot on the throttle until the engine is warmed up or shut the engine off for a couple of minutes to allow for heat soak to melt that thin ridge of ice.

This was a problem for people with street engines who blocked off the exhaust crossover under the base of the carb to not have oil splash against a hot surface and make the air/fuel ratio denser. Mazda uses a heater plate under their carbs, so this is not much of an issue. We are only talking about cold starts. After the engine is warm, all this is a non issue.
                  Last edited by bravekozak; 09-01-2013, 01:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X