Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1993 festiva starts and runs fine when cold but engine dies after parked

hello;

i have a 93 ford festiva fuel injected model, about 140,000 miles five speed; car runs fine when first started cold and ran; but when parked (going to the grocery, parked for ten minutes, etc), and starting my car, my idle is rough and engine dies when put into reverse or first; i gotta rev the engine in neutral for couple of minutes , and or need to rev the engine when put into reverse to pull out of parking lot; please help; i've replaced the maf with a used one, but still the same problem.

sticking IAC??? what's your hot idle speed?
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

hot idle speed is barely running in neutral; when i put into 1st gear or reverse, the engine dies.

Comment

then the idle set screw is set too low (located on the throttle body), turn it out 1 full turn and re-test

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),

Comment

FestYboy;

do i turn one turn clockwise or counterclockwise?? i aint no mr. goodwrench; thanks for the advice.

Comment

Out should be counter clockwise.
            Jerry
            Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
            90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
            92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
            93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

I had same problem one time with my 93 and I ended up taking off the IAC and cleaning it out and playing with valve. Sometimes antifreeze liquid gets gummy in there. Its real easy to take off. undo two small hoses and I believe bolts are 10mm. Try that if idle screw don't do it.
              Thom-Lifes too short, don't blink
              93 Festiva (Little Red Truck)
              01 F-150 (Big Red Truck)

Comment

yes, counter clockwise will increase the base idle speed.

Comment

Working...
                X