X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1990 Festiva Shaking Problem

Hello everyone,

This is my first post here.
    So I've been experiencing a problem where my Festiva has a wobble at low speeds and from about 55-70mph my steering wheel begins to shake quite violently. Does anyone have an idea as to what I should inspect/replace?

Welcome to the forum!!

Lower control arms, inner/outer tie rods, loose wheels, steering rack.

Those are my first guesses. Could also be dryrot tires if your's are old.

-Joe
    White '92 GL 5-speed BP, G series, Aspire/Rio swapped, "Nancy"
    White '89 LX 5-speed, Aspire swapped, Weber carb
    1988 LX 5-speed
    ​​​1993 L 5-speed B8, E series, Aspire/Rio swapped

Gone:

1986 Chevrolet Sprint 1990 L Plus Auto

Comment

I'd check CV axles, ball joints, sway bar bushings, tie rod ends, balance of the wheels/tires for starters. Have you had any work done on it? How many miles are on it?
      Also, add your locatioin under User CP. Someone may be close that can help you. And WELCOME to the site!!
      Jerry
      Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
      90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
      92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
      93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

The car is completely stock w/ 160k miles and all tires are a year old. Thanks for the recommendations I will check tomorrow and see if anything appears worn or unusual.

Comment

If the shaking diminishes or stops when you take your foot off the gas at speed 55-70, then you most likely have a bad CV axle. Check the longer one on the passenger side first.
          If you don't believe me, have someone get in the car and slowly push on the gas pedal (engine running) while up on the hoist. Get some flashlights and check the axle as soon as the wobble occurs. It should be evident at a much lower speed since there is no weight on the wheels. The driver should feel the instant the vibration starts and hold it at that speed. You should see the axle moving in and out.
          Last edited by bravekozak; 08-30-2013, 05:44 AM.

Comment

If I brake or take my foot off the gas, the shaking continues until the speed drops to under 55. I'm going to check in about an hour and will make sure to check the axels.

Comment

That could be the tires then. Does the shaking stop above 70mph?
              Last edited by bravekozak; 08-30-2013, 02:07 PM.

Comment

Yea usually it mellows down/stops above 70. There doesn't seem to be any noticeable bumps on any tires, but I shall take them all off and check. Would a tire belt separation cause this?

Comment

yes, or a missing wheel weight.

Comment

Mine does that shaking thing over 55. If I give it the gas it stops until I let up on the gas.

Comment

tire belt shift will typical present itself at speeds below 30 (in some cases under 10mph). the high speed vibration you describe is typical to an imballance issue.
                      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

What would belt shift feel like under 30?

Comment

the steering wheel will move on its own when attempting to drive straight (hands off the wheel), and the car will rock if the shift is severe enough
                          Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                          94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Definitely start with tires. Easiest things first. If you take off a good looking tire and slowly roll it down the street, you will see a bump or bulge as it goes around if you have a broken belt.

I have far too much experience with this.

Paul
                            Red Rocket 1988 L, 133,XXX miles, 4 sp. AC, hit guard rail in snow, RIP, saved everything but body
                            Black Rocket 1988 L 207,XXX miles, 4 sp. AC, engine, trans, wire harness, radiator from RR
                            Red Rocket 2 1988 L 138,XXX miles, 4 sp
                            White Rocket 1989 L 128,XXX miles, 4 sp. AC

Comment

Find flat concrete. Use a jack to take weight off spindle/hub to let tire clear ground barely to the point it scuffs. Don't lift body, need to mimic the cars weight on suspension geometry to be identical tire face plant when going down road.

Turn tire, adjust jack to keep it as close to floor with a little scuff. Hydraulic jacks are superior in this test.

Any tight or loose spots on rotation will be noticed.

My 'belt shift' @ 10mph on some 315 16s on the 3500 was rocking steering wheel from 11 and 1 o'clock positions. Near impossible to drive a straight line @ 45 the wheel shook so bad..

Big ol' goiter on edge where a cord let go.

Seems like the tire rides high and wants to turn, then return to normal on Ok spots. Gets wild when xxx rpm for distance travelled. Also seems more noticeable, as those were ranged F's, and I was running 90psi.

Sent from my rooted HTC Supersonic using Tapatalk 2 Pro
                              Last edited by jason_; 08-31-2013, 08:52 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X