Oil pan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil pan

When reinstalling the oil pan, the Haynes manual says to put sealant in a couple of places I think near the oil pump and rear main. Is this required or can I just use the new gasket I have?

Whatever you do, don't over torque the bolts. I destroyed the gasket the first time I changed one.

Comment

I've been torquing at the max in the Haynes manual. If its 40-43 I torque 43.

Comment

I just tighten till i think its good

Comment

Do what the book says. If you look at the locations they are talking about, it should become apparent why. If not, do it anyway.
          90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
          09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Here's the spots in question from the manual.

If a hammer doesn't fix it you have an electrical problem

WWZD
            Zulu Ministries

Comment

I'm positive the oil pan bolts will be torqued in INCH pounds, so it's just snugging everything up to squish the gasket a bit. You will need sealer because the rear main and oil pump have separate half moon gasket pieces.
              -Zack
              Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

The aspire engine (same oil pan) doesn't even use a whole gasket, it only has two rubber parts that go around the main seal humps and RTV around the whole block. That's what I ended up using after I couldn't get my Festiva gasket to stop leaking.
                2002 Ford Mustang GT Mineral Grey 5 spd
                1996 Ford Explorer XLT AWD White POS
                1992 Ford Festiva GL Metallic Blue 5 spd

Comment

Originally posted by crazyrog17 View Post
                  I'm positive the oil pan bolts will be torqued in INCH pounds, so it's just snugging everything up to squish the gasket a bit. You will need sealer because the rear main and oil pump have separate half moon gasket pieces.
                  ^^ This That's exactly how I do it.

Logan - A small swipe of sealer is placed at locations where the oil pump and rear main seal retainer meet the block since there is a small crevice where they meet and at the ends of the oil pan humps if it isn't a one piece gasket.
                  If a hammer doesn't fix it you have an electrical problem

WWZD
                  Zulu Ministries

Comment

Working...
                  X