Throttle Body Hoses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Throttle Body Hoses

Are the two bigger hoses that come out of the throttle body coolant hoses? 93 Festiva GL
    93 Festiva GL

The thinner of the to thick lines is a vaccum tube to the brake booster, the thicker goes to a silver thing with a light blue connector just behind the fuel injection rail.
    91 Festiva L "Erika" b3t swap on the way
    06 Jeep Cherokee Overland
    95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

Chobob, the brake booster hose is on the intake mani, and the IAC hose that goes to the "silver" thing is also on the intake mani.

The two larger hoses on the bottom of the TB are coolant hoses. As I recall, they are there to help keep the throttle from sticking at extreme temperatures... and I have often bypassed them. Who wants warmer intake air?
      ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
      91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
      1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
      2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

Screen shot 2013-09-10 at 7.31.47 PM.jpgScreen shot 2013-09-10 at 7.31.31 PM.jpgThe ones under the TB are the ones I replaced, I used heater hose. It was confusing to me cause I took a whole bunch of stuff off, and it seemed weird to me to hook coolant lines to the throttle body, I kept thinking, I am going to end up flooding my engine with water. Here are some pics. Thanks for the reply
        Originally posted by skeeters_keeper View Post
        Chobob, the brake booster hose is on the intake mani, and the IAC hose that goes to the "silver" thing is also on the intake mani.

The two larger hoses on the bottom of the TB are coolant hoses. As I recall, they are there to help keep the throttle from sticking at extreme temperatures... and I have often bypassed them. Who wants warmer intake air?
        93 Festiva GL

Comment

How would you flood your engine with coolant? All cars have water running through the throttle body, there is a water jacket around the TB so none will leak in.

Comment

It is the first time I took the throttle body off, so It seemed strange to me that coolant lines would run to it since it has to do with the air flow and it is not a radiator. That is why I had to ask for help, because I didn't know.
            Last edited by Breedlove; 09-10-2013, 07:49 PM.
            93 Festiva GL

Comment

Yep, you got it right!
              ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
              91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
              1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
              2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

Originally posted by skeeters_keeper View Post

Ahh thanks for the clarification. I gues i got confused.
                91 Festiva L "Erika" b3t swap on the way
                06 Jeep Cherokee Overland
                95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

Right. I understand that.....but think about it. You just took coolant hoses off ur TB. And your car didnt flood or anything else. So why would it start now, unless you broke something in the process?

Comment

I know where he is coming from on that... On a festiva I've messed with it enough times to know it like that back of my hand, but when I was installing the engine in my wife's Focus it was a little harrowing because there are 4 ports of the same size on the back of the manifold. Two are coolant ports, two are vacuum ports. Hook those up wrong and you'll get exactly what he was worried about. So I definitely get where you are coming from. Fortunately for Festivas, both hoses under the throttle body are coolant lines, and the direction of flow doesn't really even matter, so as long as you have one hose to each port (or bypass them completely like Nate) you are good to go!
                    No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Originally posted by koRnhead View Post
                      Right. I understand that.....but think about it. You just took coolant hoses off ur TB. And your car didnt flood or anything else. So why would it start now, unless you broke something in the process?
                      You should think about why me asking a question got you so offended, did anything you say in this post help in any way. Why would you say anything if it seems so rudimentary to you. You waited until after someone else answered the question before you cherry picked a diss.
                      Last edited by Breedlove; 09-12-2013, 06:49 PM.
                      93 Festiva GL

Comment

Originally posted by htchbck View Post
                        I know where he is coming from on that... On a festiva I've messed with it enough times to know it like that back of my hand, but when I was installing the engine in my wife's Focus it was a little harrowing because there are 4 ports of the same size on the back of the manifold. Two are coolant ports, two are vacuum ports. Hook those up wrong and you'll get exactly what he was worried about. So I definitely get where you are coming from. Fortunately for Festivas, both hoses under the throttle body are coolant lines, and the direction of flow doesn't really even matter, so as long as you have one hose to each port (or bypass them completely like Nate) you are good to go!
                        Thanks for the input, I learned how to do a couple of new things this repair job.
                        93 Festiva GL

Comment

This is an old trick we used to do on Mustangs and pretty much any Ford with the coolant heated EGR plate.

When I got my first Festiva and was doing some work under the hood I spotted the 2 coolant lines running to the throttle body and my reaction was "well well, what have we here? This looks very familiar ". I then removed one of the hoses completely and connected the other to the nipple on the hard pipe to bypass the TB, just like on all the other Fords I had in the past. I've done this to at least 6 Festivas since (the latest being last night).

And I have a throttle body in my shop that was removed because the coolant was slowly corroding away the aluminum between the water jacket and throttle body plenum. If left like this it would have slowly worked it's way through and the engine would have been drawing coolant down the intake tract at some point.
                          If a hammer doesn't fix it you have an electrical problem

WWZD
                          Zulu Ministries

Comment

Originally posted by Zanzer View Post
                            This is an old trick we used to do on Mustangs and pretty much any Ford with the coolant heated EGR plate.

When I got my first Festiva and was doing some work under the hood I spotted the 2 coolant lines running to the throttle body and my reaction was "well well, what have we here? This looks very familiar ". I then removed one of the hoses completely and connected the other to the nipple on the hard pipe to bypass the TB, just like on all the other Fords I had in the past. I've done this to at least 6 Festivas since (the latest being last night).

And I have a throttle body in my shop that was removed because the coolant was slowly corroding away the aluminum between the water jacket and throttle body plenum. If left like this it would have slowly worked it's way through and the engine would have been drawing coolant down the intake tract at some point.
                            I want to try that, that trick didn't cause the corrosion problem though, right?
                            93 Festiva GL

Comment

^^ Right, that didn't cause the corrosion. That mod is done so the coolant now bypasses the TB so it doesn't heat the intake air charge anymore. If you connect the 2 outlets (the ones that feed coolant to the TB) on the coolant tubes with one piece of hose you're just looping the coolant back to the tubes and the TB is now operating dry. Coolant in the TB (factory setup with hoses sending coolant to the TB to heat it) is what caused the corrosion I found on the aforementioned TB.

Edit: I suppose you could also just delete the 2 outlets with a couple of rubber caps and clamps. I've just found it easier to loop it back since the shorter piece of hose works pretty well for this and it's already there
                              Last edited by Zanzer; 09-12-2013, 09:13 PM.
                              If a hammer doesn't fix it you have an electrical problem

WWZD
                              Zulu Ministries

Comment

Working...
                              X