Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aspire SE no workee

The Aspire has developed a problem.

Fired it up about 6am to go on another MPG run, because I know the readership for that thread has an insatiable need for data. I got about 100 feet and the car died. Never done anything like that before. Pulled over, checked all electrical connections twice, checked that the cam tensioner was tensioning, checked the cam timing, both ends of the plug wires, etc etc, everything looked fine. BTW the car ran fine yesterday, when I took it for a 12-mile drive, after fixing the cam timing. Started it up, it was a bit balky, drive it for about 3/4 mile and decided to just go back home, since it still didn't feel right. It died on me a few times on the trip home, and when I restarted it, it would idle but not want to go forward when I gave it any gas at all. Limped it home that way for about 1/2 mile, then for the last 1/4 mile it ran perfectly!

So it sounds like something is intermittently failing, either in the disty, or the MAF, or some other sensor. Your input is appreciated.
    Last edited by TominMO; 09-10-2013, 07:41 AM.
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Called up Arty for ideas. He suggested the squirt test and the wiggle test, for starters. And also to hook up a fuel pressure gauge to check on the fuel delivery. (If it's OK, then I have a spark problem.) Squirt test involves squirting water on various electrical parts to see if it makes it worse. Wiggle test is for the harness, to look for loose connections. Did wiggle test, no help. Prayed to John and sacrificed a small animal in His name (stepped on a roach). Started car, went for a one mile drive, ran great. I will only use it for short drives for a couple of days, until I am satisfied I can rely on it again. Then MPG testing can resume.

The ways of John are mysterious and cannot be fathomed by us mortals. I can only surmise that for some reason He did not want me to go on a run today. Perhaps He was seeing to it that I avoided a horrible car crash.
    Last edited by TominMO; 09-10-2013, 11:44 AM.
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Possible bad gas?
      '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
      '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
      '92 Aqua parts Car
      '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
      '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
      Your holy ghost will not save you.
      Your God plutonium will not save you.
      In fact...
      ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Thought the same thing...or maybe fuel filter?

The running good, then limping home, makes me think fuel issue?
        Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
        Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
        Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
        Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
        http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

Runs good now though. And in my experience, bad gas shows up pretty soon. I last filled up about 90 miles ago. As for the fuel filter, I will be changing it tmw (and adding a pressure gauge), but I don't think that's the prob; I just want to know how old the filter is on my car. This might be the original filter from the factory. Still, it wouldn't hurt to add a bottle of gas dryer when I next fill up.
          Last edited by TominMO; 09-10-2013, 03:06 PM.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Maf connection not tight? Split a vac hose taking it apart to fix timing possibly?
            1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

Fuel pump both my aspires failed the same way ! Wouldn't happin to have been around 1/4 tank or less would it .
              New build on the way .

Comment

Originally posted by shadetree View Post
                Fuel pump both my aspires failed the same way ! Wouldn't happin to have been around 1/4 tank or less would it .
                Nope, had about eight gallons in it.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Stuck in a 12oz. bottle of Heet (isopropyl formula) last night, in case water was the issue. Today I changed out the fuel filter. The one in there was aftermarket not original, and the car has about 170K miles on it. Gonna drive it around today and tmw, and do a test on Saturday if all is going well.
                  Last edited by TominMO; 09-11-2013, 11:10 AM.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Unless you definitively find the cause of the issue, make sure you take your cell with you and advise me before launch in case a recovery is needed.
                    I might want to pickup a tow bar from harbor freight or Northern Tool and test fit so we can recover the car if necessary.
                    '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                    '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                    '92 Aqua parts Car
                    '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                    '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                    Your holy ghost will not save you.
                    Your God plutonium will not save you.
                    In fact...
                    ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Originally posted by Pu241 View Post
                      Unless you definitively find the cause of the issue, make sure you take your cell with you and advise me before launch in case a recovery is needed.
                      I might want to pickup a tow bar from harbor freight or Northern Tool and test fit so we can recover the car if necessary.
                      I was thinking about that too. These next trips will be on the weekends, and on the big loop around St Louis that I used to do on my 86-mile tests. But I will go about 150 miles or so instead. That way I will never be more than ~15 miles from you, not up to 100 miles into IL!

Also, for the trip to Madness I am ordering a new Denso fuel pump from Rock Auto. Might put it in before, might just throw it in the trunk, depending on how it runs between now and then.
                      Last edited by TominMO; 09-11-2013, 01:02 PM.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Sounds like your Dizzy is on the way out-
                        Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
                        Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
                        Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Originally posted by nitrofarm View Post
                          Sounds like your Dizzy is on the way out-
                          Maybe. Thanks for the reminder. I'll stick my spare in the trunk.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Working...
                          X