Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad squaling noise upon startup (sounds like bearing) goes away after warming up...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad squaling noise upon startup (sounds like bearing) goes away after warming up...

I've removed the A/C belt, replaced the water pump, alternator and timing belt idler. Could it be the oil pump? When I put my mechanics stethoscope on the water pump snout and the idler bolt I can hear it. Don't hear it in the alternator.
    1963 Fairlane - future NSS drag car
    1965 Mustang Coupe - A-code car, restoring for/with my son
    1973 F100 longbed - only 22k original miles, 360/auto, disk, PS/PB dealer in dash A/C
    1996 Sonoma X-cab - son's DD
    2002 Grand Prix - daughter's DD
    2003 Sport Trac - 180k, 130k on replaced motor with new timing chains - F/S soon.
    2005 Accord - wife's DD
    2008 Mountaineer - step daughter's DD
    2015 F150 SCrew - DD

May be a bad water pump even though new. But wnother member had problems with the little aluminum timing belt guide squealing.he replaced with another used one and it quit

Comment

What about the timing belt

Comment

Timing belt is new within the last few months. I replaced it when I replaced the first water pump, but I didn't replace the tensioner then.

I gotta think two bad water pumps?....
        Last edited by Larry Hampton; 09-15-2013, 11:41 PM.
        1973 F100 longbed - only 22k original miles, 360/auto, disk, PS/PB dealer in dash A/C
        2003 Sport Trac - 180k, 130k on replaced motor with new timing chains - F/S soon.
        2005 Accord - wife's DD
        2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

Maybe on water pumpe but im not sure. Are u positive pulley not rubbing covers including timing belt pulleys

Comment

Not running covers
            2005 Accord - wife's DD
            2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

I'm going to pull the water pump belt off to eliminate it and the alternator.
              2005 Accord - wife's DD
              2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

I think that's usually a belt. Initial momentum causes it to slip and squeal but once it gets turning it quiets down. Moisture, deposits, or glazing on the belt makes it worse.
                Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Well, I put a new belt on when I changed the water pump the first time. God how nice it would that be if it's just the belt. I guess taking it off would possibly confirm that.
                  2005 Accord - wife's DD
                  2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

DING!! DING!!! DING!!!! WE HAVE A WINNAAAA!!!!

Tell him what he's won Johnny!!!

WmWatt, you've just won an all expenses paid, 5 day, 4 nihht stay in the beautiful Bahamas!!!!

(Well, I wished I could do that for you, but you'll have to accept my thanks instead)

The replacement belt I used several weeks ago was a couple mm narrower than the A/C belt which is the same length. So I put that belt on and, viola! ! No noise!! I come from an era prior to the serpentine belt and have never experienced this before.
                    2005 Accord - wife's DD
                    2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

So many vacation prizes, so little time. Will try to work it in. Glad to be of help.
                      Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Proper tension can also be an issue. My ('91 Festiva) squeal came and went after repositioning the alternator to increase tension on the belt. Then the squeal came back (especially when it got cooler).
                        Replaced the belt (you could see where the inner corners had been worn down) and the problem went mostly away, but then started up again. Retightened once again and is now good as gold. The from
                        the shelf belt was probably too stiff to properly snug up at first.

Comment

Working...
                        X