tach cluster problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tach cluster problems

So i put a tqch cluster in my car 89 festy L and had to add the yellow green tach wire.tach and speed and all work great except my temp gauge dont seem to run as high and my gas gauge only goes to just above half when full of fuel so anybody have ideas

Different temp gauges seem to have a personality of their own. If the temp and gas gauges in your old cluster worked fine, I'd take the clear front off the tach cluster and just move the needles a little off from the far left when the ignition is off. See if that then gives you readings more like the old ones.
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Thats what i was thinking to do as really thats the only option.just needed lil confidence booster lol hahah thnx tom

Comment

That's the way I set mine several years ago. Filled the tank up, Let the car warm up to normal operating temp and moved the needles on the gauges where they needed to be.
        1960 willys pickup
        1967 jeep cj5

1988 festiva
        1989 festiva
        1990 festiva for parts
        1991 s-10

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" —Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Comment

Awesome guys thnx

Comment

Originally posted by 1chrisapple View Post
            So i put a tqch cluster in my car 89 festy L and had to add the yellow green tach wire.tach and speed and all work great except my temp gauge dont seem to run as high and my gas gauge only goes to just above half when full of fuel so anybody have ideas
            I just pulled the cluster out of my 89L. It was updated by the PO to a tach unit.
            The reason I pulled it was it had a seriously screwed speedo and no gas gauge operation (always empty)
            What I found was a pair of wires jumperd to screws on the circuit board that routed thru the firewall to the coil. ??
            I pulled the R. seat & tested my sender ...good
            tested continuity to the connector under the dash...good
            So Im replacing the cable which I think will solve my bouncy speedo, but how do I proceed with the gas gauge?
            does it also have to be externally wired?
            So what is the wire loom differance between the L & LX?

Comment

Have you tried just cleaning all the pins .
              I used a piece of sandpaper & cleaned all the pins re-installed the cluster, & gas gauge worked.
              It had not worked for a year, no problems not.
              KISS
              If it don't fit, use a bigger hammer!

'93 Green L - ' Tiva

Comment

Yes. first thing done was inspect & maintain (including cleaning all the contacts then testing and replacing bulbs)
                What else have you got?

Comment

did you clean the termination point of the black ground wire off the tank sending unit? there's no difference in the fuel sending diagrams between 89 L or LX. both have yellow wire to gauge and black to ground.

Comment

Your right ...to a point.
                    the wire loom for the body including the tank sending wire(s) are the same, until they connect to the loom section under the dash.
                    Against conventional wisdom apparently the L & LX DO have a different loom section running behind the dash connecting things like HVAC ctrls, cluster, R window ctrls, AC, pwr mirrors ect.
                    Perhaps not all, but mine.
                    The 1st indication that something was amiss was when I went to plug in the pwr mirrors only to find there were no connectors.
                    Now Im faced with swapping a LX dash loom (which looks to be a MAJOR PITA) or independently wiring all the options not installed on my car.

I just want important indicators like my gas gauge & speedo to WORK!

Comment

Working...
                    X