Manuel transmission......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manuel transmission......

Arrrgh!! I may need to replace my Manuel trans! If I have to do that, I may not be able to make it to the Madness. If I do, anyone know where I can get another one quick?
    The problem with mine is it leaks at the passenger side drive axel where it goes into the transmission. It has a new seal (after 5000 miles) in it but the axel is loose where it goes into the trans. The mechanic said the bearing inside might be bad which has damaged the transmission internally and is not repairable. Is this true?
    Or it might be leaking at the where the speedo cable goes into the trans. If that is the case then it's repairable.
    A third place might be where the shifter arm goes into the trans and the seal is leaking. In that case, the trans will have to taken apart to repair.
    My Festy is a 1989 LX, the transmission has been taken apart at one time. As far as I know, it is stock. I'm not sure though. I was told that all manuel trans in a 1989 Festy had carb engines, but mine is efi
    There is leakage all over in that area, so it's hard to figure where the leak is. It leaves no spots on the ground where it is leaking, but you can see some drips underneath.
    Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks, in advance.
    Mike
    1993 Ford Festiva L blue 170,000 miles
    1990 Ford Festiva L Plus white 190,000 Auto, currently waiting to have another engine put in.
    1995 Ford F150 XLT black 203,000 miles
    2002 Honda CRV silver 180,000 miles
    2003 Toyota Rav4 Sport black 94,000 miles
    2008 Sym Rv250 dark grey 30,000 miles. My scooter.
    1989 Ford Festiva LX black 233,000 miles. Sold to my better half's son.

Mike

wash the thing down really good, with crude on it it will be hard to tell where it is coming from.
    not sure if you are using atf or gear lube but gear lube really travels and look like its worse than it is.
    if you do end up needing a trans i have a 4 speed for 75 bucks
    could also meet u with it for the price of gas
    Last edited by william; 09-24-2013, 07:48 PM.

Comment

well id find the source of the leak first wash it like William said.then if it is axle seal leaking pull axle andmake sure no burs are on the axle bc that will cause it to leak fast

Comment

Gotta find that leak!! Sure they're easy to replace but its not something you want to do on a whim. I haven't.checked PnP in Columbus in a couple months but there might be a Festy there with a tranny, I could possibly meet you there and help you pull it. 125+core IIRC. I know there's gotta be a junk yard or 10 in/around brown/clermont county.
        2008 Kia Rio- new beater
        1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
        1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
        1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
        1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
        1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
        1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
        1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

Originally posted by william View Post
          wash the thing down really good, with crude on it it will be hard to tell where it is coming from.
          not sure if you are using atf or gear lube but gear lube really travels and look like its worse than it is.
          if you do end up needing a trans i have a 4 speed for 75 bucks
          could also meet u with it for the price of gas
          thanks, but I'm looking to replace with another (5 speed).
          1990 Ford Festiva L Plus white 190,000 Auto, currently waiting to have another engine put in.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by zoom zoom View Post
            Gotta find that leak!! Sure they're easy to replace but its not something you want to do on a whim. I haven't.checked PnP in Columbus in a couple months but there might be a Festy there with a tranny, I could possibly meet you there and help you pull it. 125+core IIRC. I know there's gotta be a junk yard or 10 in/around brown/clermont county.
            Thanks! I will take you up on that if it comes to that.
            I would like to find another 5 speed like mine is.

Mike

Comment

After 4 seals I replaced my "new" axle shaft, problem solved. One slipped out the door out of spec....

My shifter seal was bad too, I stuffed some tighter o-rings in there. Hasn't dribbled a dribble yet, watery atf too.

Sent from my rooted HTC Supersonic using Tapatalk 2 Pro

Comment

So at a random note, I had a similar problem, and I am not the smartest person. And for once it didn't backfire on me. When I took the wheel off and took the drive axle off of the hub and tapped it in tightly with a rubber mallet (i was angry so probbably harder then I percieved it). This fixed the problem 100% for me. I probably shouldn't recomend it, but if nothing else it might be fun to try, who knows you might even loosen off some steam

Comment

Thanks for the advice everyone!
                  Fixed, it was the speedometer cable just above where the axel and shifter rod go in. It looked like the axel seal or shifter rod was leaking but the tranny fluid was just running down on them. The inner seal was leaking where the speedometer cable goes in. I hardly lost any tranny fluid.

Mike

Comment

sweet love it when its easy fix

Comment

Well, Fixed the leak .... or so I thought. I drove it 80 miles today and it still leaks, but not where I thought. It looks to be out the passenger side drive axel at the tranny. It's not leaking much tranns fluid so I'm just going to chance it down to the madness anyway. It will be around a 900 mile round trip for me.

I'm looking now for a 5 speed transmission anybody have one, or where I can get one?

Mike

Comment

Yeah, nice!
                        90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                        09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Working...
                        X