Assistance timing belt replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Assistance timing belt replacement

I have a new timing belt cover gasket, and when I change that I might as well change the belt itself since it has never been changed while I owned the vehicle (about five years). I am having milage issues and I think this will help. It appears that there is an oil leak coming from the timing belt gasket off of my 91 festi and this is awkward because I never have to add any fluids of any kind. I check at every fuel pump and the line never goes down. There is oil all over flowing down from the seal. I am looking for instructions on how to change the belt and gasket. I would like to do this in one day if possible but I do not know how. What tools might I need (besides the basics) if any. Does anyone have any knowledge? It is a manual trans with 212k miles. I have a garage I can use.

Thanks,
    Jacob

There are lots of threads if u search, i have one with photos of timing marks. Sounds like u have bigger issues then timing cover gasket, that belt does not, should not have oil that goes to it, thats, valve cover/cam/crank seals , inspect for the leak once u take the cover off. The job for someone with no experience is a little difficut but not to bad, maybe3hrs. You need jack (engine), jack stands i use blocks of wood (car), 10mm, 12mm, impact comes in handy for water pump pulley.

Unless belt slipped your performance should not be affected. You need to find the leak, that could affect it, sounds like tune up is needed. How long since last tune up? Spark plugs, cap, rotor, wires, filters?
    Yellow 91 festiva GL 5speed
    Red 88festiva L 4spd
    Blue 91festiva L 5spd (bad tranny, sloppy suspension)

Comment

last complete tune up was 4000 miles ago about 3 or four years, (I dont drive it everywhere) but the oil has been changed as recent as 2 months ago. I will start the searches thanks,

Comment

oil doesn't leak from timing cover seal. not gasket

oil will leak from valve cover gasket down the front of engine behind timing cover.or leaking cam seal,front main seal

Comment

As all these folks have said the timing belt cover is only there to keep out dirt and snow and errant fingers. Oil leaks into the cover can only come from the camshaft seal/crank seal or the valve cover. I did notice the other day that B3 Aspire lower and upper covers are slightly smarter design than the Festy versions.

Comment

Check your pcm for codes, maybe a sensor is going bad. Its simple to do. Driver side, near break boostet. Little black single wire connector with nothing attached, put wire or.paper clip in it, ground it to the body. Turn key to hot, watch check engine light, if it blinks, count the fast blinks. That number is your code. Start the car, let it run for a minute, see if it blinks, count the code. Disconnect the wire when u are done
            Yellow 91 festiva GL 5speed
            Red 88festiva L 4spd
            Blue 91festiva L 5spd (bad tranny, sloppy suspension)

Comment

Working...
            X