Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mating the auto trans back to engine.

Few questions on how to go about it.

First: when I put the pressure plate back on the engine does not spin freely anymore. Is that normal?
    When it comes to the torque converter: do you put it back on the flywheel and then put the trans on, or, put it on the input shaft and then put the trans on?

I was thinking about buying a trans jack just to make this easier.
    Fast....Women are fast
    Quick...Nestle is quick

I Speak French....in German! lol.

okay here. first off a "pressure plate" is a part used in a clutch assembly for a manual transmission. The automatic uses a "flexplate". and i'm not sure what you mean by "does not spin freely" so maybe you should clarify a bit more, yes you should be able to spin the flexplate which is also spinning the crank.

second, for the torque converter it goes back into the transmission first, but there is a trick to this once you think its in all the way you need to spin it and give it a slight shake while lightly pushing it in and you'll feel it move in just a bit more, this is what you want. there is a seal or something that could risk damage if the converter isnt in all of the way at the time of installation.
    -1991 L 238k AC/Cruise Josh's future DD from neanderpaul, the clean slate!

-1991 GL 171k AC/Rust free Jake's future DD (thanks kevin!)

-1993 L B6T swapped auto(thanks rob!) 88k was 123whp 15.8 at 87mph currently undergoing surgery

-1989 LX crazy project car you'll all see one day! (hopefully fm8 )

Have one hydro g and xr2 mid shaft for sale super cheap! PM me!

we have owned 10 of these cars to date and we're only 20 hahah.. call it an obsession!

Comment

Knew about flex vs pressure. Just didn't make the distinction till I was done and thought about it.

Before I put the flex plate on i could spin the crank with a ratchet. Once i bolt on the flex plate, it does not spin with the ratchet any more.

Oh and the flex plate: does the side with the lip face the engine or away from it?

Thanks for the torque converter part!
      I have to take the trans back off in the morning , I just realized that the ring that the flex plate sits on came out.
      Fast....Women are fast
      Quick...Nestle is quick

Comment

Originally posted by jake88maro View Post
        okay here. first off a "pressure plate" is a part used in a clutch assembly for a manual transmission. The automatic uses a "flexplate". and i'm not sure what you mean by "does not spin freely" so maybe you should clarify a bit more, yes you should be able to spin the flexplate which is also spinning the crank.

second, for the torque converter it goes back into the transmission first, but there is a trick to this once you think its in all the way you need to spin it and give it a slight shake while lightly pushing it in and you'll feel it move in just a bit more, this is what you want. there is a seal or something that could risk damage if the converter isnt in all of the way at the time of installation.
        Look at you go Mr. 205 poster(s) this sounds like Jake and not Josh....JK I know your knowledge is not reflected by you post just giving you a hard time since I haven't talked to you guys in a while

@Milton sry to hijack Im done now
        Barbie Car - '90 L-plus_2nd Gen SOHC B6+rear turbo @ 8 psi
        Festycul - '9? 5spd_full roll cage, completely gutted, hydro g-series, B6T @ 15psi, rocketchip ecu,Willwood master cylinder, Mit. Galant VR-4 rotors, Hawk racing pads, capri knuckles, 323 LCA's, BrideLow Max seats, 5pt. harness, lexan windows, fuel cell, aluminum radiator, 323 coilovers
        Elvis - '93 L 5spd_B3+T build in progress
        WhiteGirl - '93 GL Immaculate shape, deciding what to build with it?

Comment

Going out to tackle it again in a few mins.

So once the trans is bolted together, how to you align the torque converter holes with the flexplate holes?

@ festival: you are perfectlt fine. Cant wait till i know you guys enough to hijack treads and stuff :-P
          Fast....Women are fast
          Quick...Nestle is quick

Comment

Torque converter will spin freely if it's pushed in properly and dog ears are catching the pump drive., regardless if the block is bolted tightly to trans bell housing.

Put a dab of grease on center of crank flange or on the button of the torque converter if it has one.

As mentioned, never attempt the mate unless t/c is in the transmission. A rule of. Thumb is you should be unable to get your fingers behind the converter once it's fully seated.

Never hang t/c on flexplate then try to assemble.

Doing the opposite will almost certainly upset inputshaft seal and she'll leak after its all together and running.

Sent from my rooted HTC Supersonic using Tapatalk 2 Pro
            Last edited by jason_; 09-26-2013, 09:55 AM.

Comment

hahah thanks kevin!

To answer your first question im not to sure which way the flex plate bolts on, i completely am having a brain fart! hmmmmmm Then to line up the converter you simply just spin the converter itself. it should turn relatively easy!
              -1991 L 238k AC/Cruise Josh's future DD from neanderpaul, the clean slate!

-1991 GL 171k AC/Rust free Jake's future DD (thanks kevin!)

-1993 L B6T swapped auto(thanks rob!) 88k was 123whp 15.8 at 87mph currently undergoing surgery

-1989 LX crazy project car you'll all see one day! (hopefully fm8 )

Have one hydro g and xr2 mid shaft for sale super cheap! PM me!

we have owned 10 of these cars to date and we're only 20 hahah.. call it an obsession!

Comment

So you can reach the converter when the trans is bolted to the engine?
                Fast....Women are fast
                Quick...Nestle is quick

Comment

Another odd question

Bolt specs for starter bolts?
                  Fast....Women are fast
                  Quick...Nestle is quick

Comment

Yeah, assuming dust cover/ splash shield is off. I never put them back on. Lazy, terrible habit FYI.

You should be able to see front of flywheel between oil pan and trans case. At least that's how all the autos been I've worked on. Never honestly wrenched on a 1.3 auto setup, but I assume the same principles apply.

About 3 hrs from now I'll take a picture of my Suzuki nightmare I'll finish tonight. She still needs the 6, yes, 6 torque converter bolts wrenched in.

Flywheel is the size of a 8" pizza and has 8 crank bolts holding it on... Ridiculous......
                    Last edited by jason_; 09-26-2013, 12:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MiltonHavoc View Post
                      Another odd question

Bolt specs for starter bolts?
                      I only book the head bolts, and even then that's when I have a book. I judge by feel. In any case, start center and circle outwards. Regardless of one step or 2 step tightening.

Ratchet them good and snug.

One-snap-tight is too tight. Heh.

Last edited by jason_; 09-26-2013, 01:00 PM.

Comment

This is the donor engine I pulled my 'new' auto from. Looks like the lip is out.
                        -Zack
                        Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

Yes, and see how daylight goes through one of the flywheel bolts?

Use a screwdriver to turn flywheel, and bolt them in one at a time.

Comment

Holy crap.
                            That is a lot of bolts, but I bet it gives piece of mind.

I'm sooo over autos now though.
                            I gotta go to harbor freight and get a leveler for the hoist.

I used the Festiva flex plate with that metal flex washer that goes inbetween it and the engine. But I used the b6d bolts. Perhaps that's whats causing the crank from spinning?
                            Fast....Women are fast
                            Quick...Nestle is quick

Comment

When I used an auto to rebuild for my manual setup, manual had linger bolts for flywheel. Manuals have more meat for disc to scuff against. Autos were shorter. FYI.

Comment

Working...
                              X