93 Festiva axle specs- hard to find

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 93 Festiva axle specs- hard to find

Friends, I need a little help finding some specific info. I've been looking for this "tranny thread" some of you have brought up here and there hoping it has my answers, but I can't find the damn thing.

It was time to change front axles. I ordered two from partsgeek.com, and all indications were that said parts would fit my 1993 Festy with a standard transmission. Lo and behold, the left/driver's side part didn't fit. It was just over an inch too long. They sent me the wrong part.

I would love to know what the lengths are of the driver side axle for the mtx vs the auto. Any help would be appreciated. :cry_smile:

Use the search for "axle cheat sheet" made by nitrofarm, it has all the information you need. The one that is an inch too long is for an aspire, it should have worked, did you even try it?
    Last edited by zoom zoom; 10-10-2013, 10:07 PM.
    2008 Kia Rio- new beater
    1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
    1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
    1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
    1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
    1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
    1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
    1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

zoom zoom, thanks! Yes, I found that thread, but the chart everyone keeps referring to isn't there. It seems like it was a photobucket link that is now broken? Or am I missing something huge here?

And yes, my mechanic friend tried it. (Not that I don't have fun with hands-on, but I already have a project motorcycle supplying me with headaches, heh.) He made an attempt or two and couldn't get it in. Then, just to be sure, he really pushed the ends in and made it fit, but it was *very* tight and not functional. The wheel wouldn't turn. Based on that and what I've read around here, my best guess is that I was sent the axle for an auto, or something else.

I bought new EMPI axles.

Comment

post #8 has axle information.

I believe the auto axles have a different inboard spline count, so you wouldn't have been able to get them in your tranny.
        Last edited by nonamekid; 10-11-2013, 08:39 AM.
        The Festiva Store
        Specializing in restoration, tuning and custom parts.

Comment

Originally posted by GuyverScythe View Post
          zoom zoom, thanks! Yes, I found that thread, but the chart everyone keeps referring to isn't there. It seems like it was a photobucket link that is now broken? Or am I missing something huge here?

And yes, my mechanic friend tried it. (Not that I don't have fun with hands-on, but I already have a project motorcycle supplying me with headaches, heh.) He made an attempt or two and couldn't get it in. Then, just to be sure, he really pushed the ends in and made it fit, but it was *very* tight and not functional. The wheel wouldn't turn. Based on that and what I've read around here, my best guess is that I was sent the axle for an auto, or something else.

I bought new EMPI axles.
          The sheet is there you have to read the thread. When it gets updated the old one is erased so the link would no longer be valid. If the axle went in at all then something your saying doesn't add up. Did you count the splines, did you have the car in gear trying to turn the wheel, do you have the whole front end off the ground or just one side?

Releases the lower control arm from the knuckle and use it to push the inner cv splines in the tranny
          Last edited by zoom zoom; 10-11-2013, 06:58 PM.
          2008 Kia Rio- new beater
          1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
          1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
          1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
          1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
          1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
          1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
          1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

Originally posted by nonamekid View Post
            http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ted-1-19-10%29

post #8 has axle information.

I believe the auto axles have a different inboard spline count, so you wouldn't have been able to get them in your tranny.
            Perfect. This is the thread I was looking for. I must have overlooked it not knowing the correct title. Thank you.

Originally posted by zoom zoom View Post
            The sheet is there you have to read the thread. When it gets updated the old one is erased so the link would no longer be valid. If the axle went in at all then something your saying doesn't add up. Did you count the splines, did you have the car in gear trying to turn the wheel, do you have the whole front end off the ground or just one side?

Releases the lower control arm from the knuckle and use it to push the inner cv splines in the tranny
            And yeah, zoom zoom, I see it now on page 2. I swear I had looked through that thread three times and saw nothing. In any case, that's a good resource, thank you.

Well, now. With this information I can see that my axle has the correct number of splines on each end, and is just about the right length measured from end to end, compressed. About 1/8" too long, but that's more likely just me not compressing it effectively by hand.

Hm.

Unexpected. I figured this sort of work was pretty routine and just trusted my guy on his word. I know I'm lacking details; I'm just paraphrasing him and have forgotten some of what he said. I'm glad I thought to check on here before sending this thing back. I'll give him a call Monday to try again.

I'll hang with him this time and mention the tip about the lower control arm. Please let me know if there are any other installation tips. Hopefully this is it and I have no new issues to report.

You have been a BIG help. I'm glad there's a community for this little car. I really dig my zippy little Festiva and expect many more miles on it.

Comment

It's been months, but I'm still due to replace this driver's side CV Axle in my 93 Festiva.

I had ordered that driver's side axle, and I returned it, because upon scrutinizing the matter with my mechanic, it was obvious that the axle in my car was not the same part as the axle we were trying to install. We put the old axle and the new one side by side to compare. The shaft on the new one was slightly longer, the housing (I think it's called) was also obviously longer, and the inside end with the splines on it was also slightly longer. It all added up to an axle that is nearly an inch longer than the one we took out of the car.

I returned that part, ordered another Festiva driver-side axle for manual transmission, from another manufacturer. Same thing. An inch too long. I looked through the axle cheat sheet thread, and there doesn't seem to be a compatible axle that's about that much shorter than the Festiva Spec. Same number of splines.

Could it be that I keep ordering Festiva axles and I'm being sent Aspire axles? Or are these new axles really supposed to fit? We are stumped and I could use some ideas on what to do next.
              Last edited by GuyverScythe; 04-10-2014, 08:01 PM.

Comment

I have seen variances of up to 3/16's,but not by an inch. I really like the ASPIRE LH axle from NAPA. It has the ""larger" joint which gives you @ 1/4 more travel. This axle fits the Festy fine (its only 1/8" longer than the stock Festy) but anytime you replace your axle with a new one you should center the trans and engine. Thats why the Upr Engine mount is slotted.If you get the Napa piece just make sure you recenter and I'm sure you'll be fine. Also new axles require you to compress them much harder to get a true over all measurement.I posted pics of this axle in the fore mentioned thread.
                Last edited by nitrofarm; 04-11-2014, 01:17 AM.
                Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
                Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
                Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Thanks nitrofarm, neither of us were aware of the engine centering. We will take a second look and get back.

Comment

Yes its called "Equalizing" the axles,but it wont fix an axle that's an inch too long.

Comment

Originally posted by nitrofarm View Post
                      I have seen variances of up to 3/16's,but not by an inch. I really like the ASPIRE LH axle from NAPA. It has the ""larger" joint which gives you @ 1/4 more travel. This axle fits the Festy fine (its only 1/8" longer than the stock Festy) but anytime you replace your axle with a new one you should center the trans and engine. Thats why the Upr Engine mount is slotted.If you get the Napa piece just make sure you recenter and I'm sure you'll be fine. Also new axles require you to compress them much harder to get a true over all measurement.I posted pics of this axle in the fore mentioned thread.
                      That NAPA axle comes at a price steeper than most others do, and I am penniless. I'm going for it, though, because I need this fixed. I noticed your posts on the axle cheat sheet thread about axle lengths and how imprecise the market is about the parts.

I just noticed zoomzoom asking if the whole front end was off the ground or just one side at installation attempts. It was just one side. Does this make a difference?

Comment

Originally posted by GuyverScythe View Post
                        That NAPA axle comes at a price steeper than most others do, and I am penniless. I'm going for it, though, because I need this fixed. I noticed your posts on the axle cheat sheet thread about axle lengths and how imprecise the market is about the parts.

I just noticed zoomzoom asking if the whole front end was off the ground or just one side at installation attempts. It was just one side. Does this make a difference?
                        No just do one side at a time.You might want to make sure your rubber trans mounts arent complete mush.

Comment

Also, I was having a hard time finding the link. I did find this though: https://fordfestiva.com/forums/showt...dated-1-19-10)
                          which is stickied, and appears to survive through time.

Comment

Originally posted by qroger View Post
                            Also, I was having a hard time finding the link. I did find this though: https://fordfestiva.com/forums/showt...dated-1-19-10)
                            which is stickied, and appears to survive through time.
                            There are a couple of pics that haven't made it. Maybe Wil can restore them, otherwise I will have to do some digging and see I still have them somewhere.
                            The Festiva Store
                            Specializing in restoration, tuning and custom parts.

Comment

Working...
                            X