White smoke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White smoke

I bought a 1993 Ford Festiva about a year ago, the previous owner didn't give the right mantainance to it but I changed oil, put new antifreeze and did all the regular maintainance to it. Two weeks ago the car was low a quart of oil and I filled it. When I started the car it started well but in less than a mile white smoke came out, lots of it. I parked the car, and decided to drive it slowly home(about 5 miles). I start it once a week and as soon as it warms up white smoke comes out. It has a good level of antifreeze and it never overheated. What might be the problem?
    Edgardo Perez Cosme

Had the same thing on an '82 Colt, Mitsibushi engine, known for "premature" wear on the piston rings at about 100k km.
    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

That kinda sounds like what happened to mine when I first got it. My problem was that somehow or another I put in too much oil - like 2 quarts too much. Still don't know how I managed that :-), but draining it and putting in the correct amount fixed it.

(One theory someone here offered was that chunks of sludge blocked the drain holes from the head, thus making 2 quarts I poured in not register on the stick immediately.)

Comment

Thanks. I think is too much oil too. I will buy some sludge removal, start the engine and then change the oil to see if it works.
        Edgardo Perez Cosme

Comment

same thing happened to me and it ended up being what dave g said. mine didn't smoke idling but as soon as you gave it gas there was tons of smoke.

92l efi 240K+ stock

Comment

Working...
          X