Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BUCKING PART 2! IF I CAN'T FIGURE THIS OUT, I CAN'T KEEP THE CAR!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BUCKING PART 2! IF I CAN'T FIGURE THIS OUT, I CAN'T KEEP THE CAR!

I'm done. I've NEVER in 5 festivas and 2 aspires EVER been so stumped.

My car bucks. 1/2-2/3 of the way through 1, 2, and 3rd gear (and now acting up in 4th/5th) it bucks. Like it falls flat, comes back, then flat, then back....

I've replaced:
    -Distributor cap/rotor
    -coil
    -plugs/wires
    -TPS
    -MAF
    -Fuel filter
    -Fuel pump

I have NEVER had to take my festivas to a shop, but I am completely at a loss. Anybody have any other ideas? It's bad enough now, that sometimes when I'm coasting in 4th, I can put my foot clear down, and it doesn't change revs at all. HELP ME PLEASE!

Http://www.Youtube.com/TheresGabe

1991 Festiva L Red: Daily Driver
    1990 Festiva L White: R.I.P.
    1988 Festiva L Silver: R.I.P.
    1991 Festiva L Red B6T: R.I.P.
    1989 Festiva L White: R.I.P.
    1995 Aspire 2-door White: R.I.P.
    1995 Aspire 4-door Red: R.I.P.

Windex with engine running lean on things, squeeze wiggle test. Finds vacuum and bad electricals for me. Make sure tps was clocked and putback in right.
    1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

Ive never had a clogged cat but ive read they show ugly heads under load like a fuel problem. Its an airflow problem which the computer tries to do what it can, so no power.
      1993 GL 5 speed

Comment

could your clutch be slipping then caught in gear again?
        ;
        www.facebook.com/rhodestiva ;
        rhodestiva@gmail.com ;
        http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=44851
        http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=419
        '92 Festiva L M/T
        '93 Festiva GL A/T

Comment

He said he floors it and no rev change. If clutch was slipping, I would think it would rev high when floored.
          I am with getnpsi on the TPS install. It sounds like a sensor of some sort.

And dont you have a VAF, not a MAF? 1990 Festy should have a VAF, and if its not working right will cause issues.
          Check VAF conections and make sure the vane in the VAF is moving freely
          Last edited by drddan; 10-25-2013, 02:01 PM.
          Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
          Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
          Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
          Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
          http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

enCrack in the intake after the vaf somewhere? When you hit the gas the engine rocks under load and opens the crack and don't allow air to come through the vaf and move the flap and cuts the fuel maybe
            -90 festiva - bp swap "relentless" (thanks matt) aspire swap, pacesetter, underdrive pulley
            -90 festiva - surf blue (undetermined destiny) wanna keep but wifey says noooooooo

Comment

Does this happin when cold / warm / hot ? Had an issue on my last car , wiring harness was rubbing the rad .
              Just below the battery , when the engine heated up and fan came on the car would buck very bad .
              Just an idea to check . The tci wire was grounding out through the coolant supplied ground the the ran case .
              Good luck .
              New build on the way .

Comment

I would suspect a leak in the intake as well, just has gotten bigger now. Loose connection at the ecu, or a short someplace in line could do that i suppose.

Comment

Don't know if this may relate to your problem but I was just reading about distributors and read that when the optical sensor gets oil/dirt on it, strange things relating to ignition firing can happen.
                  Do you have the optical distributor or the hall effect distributor? If optical, you might try removing the metal cap and clean the wheel and sensor.

Or if you have a spare distributor, you might just try changing it out.
                  Last edited by 1990new; 10-25-2013, 02:33 PM.

Comment

Check for a loose ground at the front of the head near the thermostat housing. When I started my car for the first time I couldnt get any fuel pressure. hooked that ground up and the pump started running and car started fine.

Comment

Air hose is one thing gets me too. Agsin soapy water makes a flaky ground better so you can find it, and changes idle when it gets sucked into the engine when it shouldn't. A combustible fuel masks your lean condition so dont like using those plus it eats rubber that probably isnt new.
                      1993 GL 5 speed

Comment

the TPS would have to be WAY out for there to be any kind of issue with power production, also it would't cause a lack of throttle response, all the TPS does is look at weather or not the throttle is in one of 3 positions (idle, run, WOT). there is a MAP and VAF sensor combo that takes care of load compensation in relation to throttle position. i'm wondering if there is a signal drop off within the harness (wiggle test at 2000 rpm). hmmmm. have no fear, I'm on the job (lol).
                        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

I do hope your problem is not the same as the problem I had with Bessie back in 2003.
                          She started acting as you describle and finally would not start at all.
                          The crankshaft nose keyway slot and the key were worn away. It was either get a new crank or get a new engine.
                          I went with the new engine.

Comment

Working...
                          X