!!URGENT!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• !!URGENT!!

um i have a ford festive 1992 model manual. now when u start of from 1st gear at traffic lights, round-a-bouts parking lots etc there like a huge grining noise like wen u start the car and hold the key in?? its happens bout 1 in 5 times. also there i like a grining sound quiet but wen taking of in first all the time now??? WTF? iam lost..... please help
    Ford Festiva 1992 Model, 1.3L 5 Door, Red, Mods- Roo-Bar with two spotlights, also stickers, on the bonnet, front window, and rear window

It sounds like a CV joint is about 10,000 miles past dead.

On both front axles there should be rubber boots, make sure those are intact.
    OX SMASH!!

Comment

iam not to mechnically minded.. where am i looking? towards the center of teh axil or right where the wheels are.

thankyou
      Ford Festiva 1992 Model, 1.3L 5 Door, Red, Mods- Roo-Bar with two spotlights, also stickers, on the bonnet, front window, and rear window

Comment

park the car with the wheel turned to the right....look behind the drivers side tire and you should be able to see the axle coming out of the wheel area going into the engine bay. look for a black rubber slinky looking cover. if it is riped or torn than most likely your cv joint is bad. do this with the passenger side as well, turn the wheel the other way to get a better look.
        90 L FI..second B3
        90 L Parts car
        Jay

Comment

How much would this cost to fix approx?

Comment

i replaced my driver side Axel 2 years ago and now the CV joint is going bad. i paid about 65.00 at napa for it and paid a garage 50.00 cash to install it.

Comment

Originally posted by miami man
              i replaced my driver side Axel 2 years ago and now the CV joint is going bad. i paid about 65.00 at napa for it and paid a garage 50.00 cash to install it.
              $50 cash? :shock: Holy. This is going to sound pretty freaky, but I just paid $590 to get a passenger-side CV and the front wheel bearings changed out (parts and labour). The CV joint itself was $130 Canadian.
              A Festiva saved my life.
              Former owner of a '93 L.
              Rolled her at 120 km/h and walked away.
              R.I.P. "747"

Comment

to do the front rotors or bearings on they have to pull the hub apart fro which they charge more. Can't remember but it might just have been on early models. Go easy on the brakes and make them last as long a possible.
                Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

yes $50.00 labor got it fixed on my lunch hour at a garage that has a lift.
                  i bought the whole Axel Assembly from napa and all they had to do is remove the old Axel Assembly and slap in the new one and it did not take them that long. years ago we did not let people buy the parts and we installed it but in recent years the garage lets people do that because the reasoning is they do not have to stand behind a warranty.

Comment

i just took it to the garage, turnes out its the gearbox instead, how mcuh would one cost second hand? any ideas where i can get one? ive already tried all wreckers in teh area and no luck.

Comment

which gear box do you mean? steering or transmission

Comment

well i originally posed grinding noise, now it has become a lot worse, like now if the RPM are over like 3500 and u change gear there is a huge clank and grinding sound, also wen u take of there is a huge grinding sound, forth gear is now gone and the gear are really rough even when they are in gear.??

Comment

have you checked or even replaced the manual transmission fluid lately????

if it is too low, you can do severe damage to your tranny and end up having to replace it

Comment

how to check it:

Comment

Working...
                            X