Pesky Automatic Seatbelts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pesky Automatic Seatbelts

I have a 93' Festiva with automatic seatbelts. When I first got the car I tinkered with them for hours. Cleaned all of the connections. And got no moving reaction. One day months later my buddy gets in my car and they work. I almost cried it was great. However after I parked it and went back out to go drive my buddy home they did not move back. I moved them back and unplugged them. Anyone know how that happened? How I could fix it? Because those seatbelts would make my Festiva that much cooler.

Open your front doors and look in the lower-right corner of each 'door jamb' area. On the driver's side, it's about 1.5 feet from the gas door, in the door frame itself. Take these out and clean them, two screws.

Since it 'sometimes' works, that little 'door open' switch might be the culprit!

Good luck.

-Joe
    White '92 GL 5-speed BP, G series, Aspire/Rio swapped, "Nancy"
    White '89 LX 5-speed, Aspire swapped, Weber carb
    1988 LX 5-speed
    ​​​1993 L 5-speed B8, E series, Aspire/Rio swapped

Gone:

1986 Chevrolet Sprint 1990 L Plus Auto

Comment

Part of my thought process went there and I picked up two new ones from my local auto wrecker still to no avail. Any other ideas?

Comment

There's a black box under your driver's seat. I believe that's the power belt motor. Fiddled with it yet?

That's about all I can think of. :p
        White '92 GL 5-speed BP, G series, Aspire/Rio swapped, "Nancy"
        White '89 LX 5-speed, Aspire swapped, Weber carb
        1988 LX 5-speed
        ​​​1993 L 5-speed B8, E series, Aspire/Rio swapped

Gone:

1986 Chevrolet Sprint 1990 L Plus Auto

Comment

Pesky Automatic Seatbelts

It could be a problem with the door latch switch.
          Betsy has this problem on the drivers side.
          Take a small screw driver and tap on the door latch mechanism with the door open. I can tap on mine with the end of the car key and the belt motor will activate and move the belt forward.
          I've had no problem with it moving rearward when I close the door with the ignition on.
          I have a replacement latch but haven't put it on yet. I think the problem has something to do with the plastic insulation on the latch being worn away.
          Last edited by 1990new; 11-09-2013, 07:42 PM.

Comment

Here are a few topics about this
            Post your Festiva or Aspire repair and maintenance issues. - USE THIS FORUM FOR ANY TECHNICAL RELATED POST (IE. How do I change my oil?, How to remove axle from tranny?, etc)

Post your Festiva or Aspire repair and maintenance issues. - USE THIS FORUM FOR ANY TECHNICAL RELATED POST (IE. How do I change my oil?, How to remove axle from tranny?, etc)

Spike

Switces at the 'door jamb' area do not participate in the work of seat belts.

As already written 1990new
            the problem is likely in the switch in the door lock
            or like me, in the block under the driver's seat.

Comment

Originally posted by 1990new View Post
              I think the problem has something to do with the plastic insulation on the latch being worn away.
              All along I thought the plastic on my 89 latches were completely worn away. I forgot about those magnetic sensors in the later model auto seat belt latches. Does that mean the older 88/89 Festivas had uninsulated latches? I thought that the plastic was there to reduce friction and make the lock move better. I was wrong. After disconnecting my actuator rods I have crisp clicks for locking and unlocking with my lock button rod. Thanks for clarifying this for me, even though I have already changed my latches to insulated ones. I will be switching rod holes to make the actuator rods work better. I will follow up in the power lock thread. Still learning.

Comment

Working...
              X