Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front main seal leak

91 GL oil leak 1 quart per 500-1000k
    Oil is leaking onto my belts, looks like it coming from main crnk seal in front. I havent pulled the timing cover yet, this engine has had top end rebuild about 10k but lower end not done, im assuming crank. Problem is its leaking onto my v belt and has thrown it twice. I want a easy fix if possible, do you have suggestions? I was thinking slap some sort of liqiud gasket substance around area. Im going to replace the timing belt if i take cover off, ill be in the area anyways.

Im fixing my other festy waiting to find aspire for swap and until then this one has to last, im going to swap motor once other festy is up amd running so i need a quick fix. Thanks in advance.
    Yellow 91 festiva GL 5speed
    Red 88festiva L 4spd
    Blue 91festiva L 5spd (bad tranny, sloppy suspension)

nothing to do but get in there and replace the crank seal. where the leak originates doesn't allow for any kind of "quick fix". just give yourself an hour and tackle it and get it fixed right. i can walk you through the process if need be. and if it takes more than an hour with the tools i'd list, your putzing around.
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

^ This!

While your in there replace the cam seal too! There's nothing like NO OIL leaks at all!
      Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
      Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
      Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
      Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
      http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

I thought it would take longer. Id love to fix it right, whats the process. . . Pick n pull has half of all parts this weekend so ill be pulling aspire trans (mines bad) and suspension for swap on one of my festys. I might have to tackle this oil seal also. My fleet of festys all need a little work right now, work been to damn busy to make festy time.
        Red 88festiva L 4spd

Comment

Front main seal leak

I thought for sure mental mark was writing a "how to" when I read the title to this lol. Make a note of where the old seal sits in the engine and when you replace it don't tap it in as far. Just remove the water pump belt, remove front crank pulley, remove timing belt, remove timing pulley from crankshaft, oil seal is there.
          You will need to reset the timing so you need to remove the upper gear cover if you haven't already put it at tdc line up the lines on the top and bottom. It's cake on sohc. I've never had that luxury put back together.

Setting the timing on dohc sucks!
          Last edited by Flyin4stroke; 11-26-2013, 11:09 AM.
          1988 Ford Festiva "Sonic" BPT g25mr MS2 standalone ecu, FOTY '11, Best Beater FMV, Fan Favorite FMVI

1989 Ford Mustang GT 5.slow

1996 Ford F-150

Comment

Ive done the water pump and belt on my 88. This one has all the ac stuff in the way and the wheel wells are sokid as apposed to the 88 yoi can take out all of the inner well.

I can image timing difficulties with DOHC. Single is simple. Im going deeper and deeper into my mechanical knowledge every time I touch these cars. Im about to aspire swap and tranny swap my blue festy, fix this leak on my yellow and valve adjust my red. So much work. Once blue is up and reliable im going to hunt a motor to swap in yellow. The yellowbumble bee will be my racer eventially.
            Red 88festiva L 4spd

Comment

Got everything torn down, lower timing cover is missing in this car, i need to finiah job with out timing marks on cover, any suggestions? My thought is mark.the pulley and mark the block. Id go get another but i dont have time for that right now. Help?!?!
              Red 88festiva L 4spd

Comment

Front main seal leak

The timing marks are on the lower cover are for setting the timing. There should be a notch in the lower crank gear that's what you should line up to the triangle on the block. You shouldn't need the cover unless you move the distributor.
                Last edited by Flyin4stroke; 11-29-2013, 07:00 PM.
                1988 Ford Festiva "Sonic" BPT g25mr MS2 standalone ecu, FOTY '11, Best Beater FMV, Fan Favorite FMVI

1989 Ford Mustang GT 5.slow

1996 Ford F-150

Comment

Ok. Thank you. I was reading in my manuel it said to set crank to tdc on timing cover. I got a little bit worried when i saw it missing. Dudw i baught car from was mickey mouse mechanic
                  Red 88festiva L 4spd

Comment

Is the cam sprocket keyed to fit one way? Crank same?
                    Red 88festiva L 4spd

Comment

Camshaft sprocket only fits one way, yes. Two marks on sprocket. One should be at 12:00 and the other at 3:00, for the cam to be at TDC. Crankshaft sprocket notch should be straight up, aligned with the little triangle on the block, as said before. Triple check all this. After tightening the timing belt tensioner, rotate the camshaft sprocket 360 degrees, and re-check that everything stayed aligned.

Note: before the tensioner goes back to tensioning, make sure the front side of the timing belt (i.e. closer to front of car) is tense, and the rear side is slack.
                      Last edited by TominMO; 11-29-2013, 07:44 PM.
                      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                      09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

is crank sprocket keyed to fit one way? Im worried it could rotate while sprocket is being tightened. I appreciate all your help guys.

Ive done water pump amd belt on my 88 but I didnt remove sprockets to change seals.
                        Red 88festiva L 4spd

Comment

Never mind, its all simple. Pulling the seal however is not. i dont have seal puller, i reccomend it to anyone who is going to do this job.
                          Red 88festiva L 4spd

Comment

Next question. . . Has anyone done this.job for oil leak? Both seals dont look bad or like major evidencw its leaking, obviouly ill know when i get done, but not sure what is throwing so much oilbin from of engine, i hopw its these seal. Im replaceing cam, crank, valve cover. Any ideas? Head gaskets was done by previoua owner, appears ok though.
                            Red 88festiva L 4spd

Comment

I use a small screwdriver to get the seals out. Small hammer to tap the screwdriver into the seal, making a hole in it. Pry with a shop towel around screwdriver and ...POP..out they come!

Just be careful to NOT scratch the seal journal!

Your oil leak, was there oil all over the inside of the timing cover and engine area under timing cover?? If so, yes the seals need replaced
                              Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
                              Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
                              Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
                              Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
                              http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

Working...
                              X