Heater core

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heater core

How long would it take someone to replace the heater core?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The entire blower assembly must be removed and split open to get at the heater core.
    I took a dash out at the junkyard yesterday in about half an hour. That's because I knew where every bolt, screw and nut was, and the order of removal. A first timer would probably take two hours. A little less to put it back in. Don't forget the hidden screw on the blower housing.
    Last edited by bravekozak; 11-27-2013, 08:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bravekozak View Post
      The entire blower assembly must be removed and split open to get at the heater core.
      I took a dash out at the junkyard yesterday in about half an hour. That's because I knew where every bolt, screw and nut was, and the order of removal. A first timer would probably take two hours. A little less to put it back in. Don't forget the hidden screw on the blower housing.
      Does the dash have to be removed or can it just be laid toward the rear of the car?
      I know in my 97 f150 I was able to just lay the dash in the seat.

Comment

The dash isn't too heavy. I've had mine in and out about six times. You can lay it on the seat if you like. I personally would want it out of my way.
        While you have the dash out, everything is exposed. It's a perfect time to install a cabin air filter and replace all the old foam duct seals.
        Last edited by bravekozak; 11-27-2013, 09:53 AM.

Comment

Honestly, I just want heat. It's just a work car. The vent selector switch is broke so I have to get in the floor to change it.

Comment

You should have mentioned that the day before yesterday. I was in Lewiston and could have sent you a spare Festiva climate control unit and anything else you might have needed. Next time post in the for sale/wanted thread.

I got myself a whole bunch of parts I needed at Able's Auto Wreckers yesterday. I was the only person in the 200 acre yard.
            Last edited by bravekozak; 11-27-2013, 01:36 PM.

Comment

I'm not worried about the climate control part. It doesn't have AC so I'm not worried about it. The car was drove back and forth to the mines before I got it.

Comment

So... why do you need to change the heater core?

Comment

Because it's the only thing left as to why the heat isn't working. Figured if I'm gonna break into the box mine as well replace it.

Comment

When I say climate control, I mean the unit with the three control cables.

Did you backflush the heater core already? If you hook up a garden hose to one side does it flow out clean, just as well out of the other side? Then reverse the hoses and perform the test again. Back and forth until the heater core runs clean.

Last resort, the heater core fins could be plugged with debris, since Festivas do not have cabin air filters.

There is no need to replace the heater core unless it has an unsolderable leak.
                    Just blow the fins clean with compressed air.
                    Last edited by bravekozak; 11-27-2013, 04:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bravekozak View Post
                      When I say climate control, I mean the unit with the three control cables.

Did you backflush the heater core already? If you hook up a garden hose to one side does it flow out clean, just as well out of the other side? Then reverse the hoses and perform the test again. Back and forth until the heater core runs clean.

Last resort, the heater core fins could be plugged with debris, since Festivas do not have cabin air filters.

There is no need to replace the heater core unless it has an unsolderable leak.
                      Just blow the fins clean with compressed air.
                      I did run water through it while my motor was out and it ran clean.

The care set for a year before I got it and I can smell what smells to me like a mouse net when I first turn it on.

Comment

Pull the mouse nest out of your duct first. Remove the tube behind the glove box and look inside. I have a bad feeling all of the tiny bits of paper and such got sucked in by the blower and ended up on top of your heater core fins.

Is your rad cap pressurized?
                        Last edited by bravekozak; 11-27-2013, 04:41 PM.

Comment

Heater core

Yes cap is pressurized. I'll see about removing the tube shortly

Last edited by logan; 11-27-2013, 05:10 PM.

Comment

This is what I took apart and it looks clean. So would it be a safe bet the core fins are plugged up?

Comment

So to see if maybe the top side was plugged I drilled a hole in the box to see if I could see anything.

Comment

Working...
                              X