squealing belt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• squealing belt

Hey guys, just a quick question. When I start my car every time the belt squeals like crazy for a bit. Usually it squeals longer if i turn on the heat or even the headlights. Another problem is that when im driving it will randomly start squealing. Also sometimes when i push the brakes in it starts squealing and the lights will dim. Anyone have any solutions? Thanks in advance!

My car did this last year. Same exact symptoms. Turned out to be the altanator
    1990 Red Festiva STOCK "pregnant roller skate"
    1989 Yellow Festiva BP swap "Freebird"
    2007 Ford F150 "black sunshine" full exhaust with x-pipe. K&N intake. Headman Headers.
    2001 Honda accord SOLD lots of goodies done suicide doors lowered 20 inch rims
    2005 Ford F250 6.0 Turbo Diesel "swamprat" 4 inch lift, 4 inch mbrp exhaust, egr delete, glowshift pillar gauges.
    1994 Ford F150 5.0 Completely stock.

Comment

Is the belt tight?? Dose the belt need replaced?

Comment

I just replaced it recently, it may need tightened but idk.

Comment

After installing a new belt i normally have to retighten it after a few thousand miles
          91 Festiva L "Erika" b3t swap on the way
          06 Jeep Cherokee Overland
          95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

Tighten your belt!!!!!

Comment

Just tighten it by pushing the alternator down right?

Comment

Loosen both bolts on alternator, I use a pry bar to get more leverage on it, tighten till you have about half an inch deflection in belt. Tighten bottom bolt first then snug the top. Enjoy your lack of squeeling.....

Comment

Hold alt down and pull the motor up !
                  New build on the way .

Comment

Alternator bearings do eventually wear out too.
                    But hopefully it is a lose belt.
                    Do you have the wide serpentine type belt or the v-belt?
                    If it's not the regular v belt, I'm not familiar with how the serpentine one on the Aspire is tightened.

Comment

Aspire belts aren't serpentine, but they are different. They are ribbed instead of V-shaped, and tighten the same way as Festy belts. I have used a prybar too, for leverage to get it tight enough. I find that a really long flat-blade screwdriver would also do the trick, and is easier to fit in there.
                      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                      09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

I'll have to wait til this weekend to get around to tightening it. I don't have anything that would even work as a pry bar around me at the moment so when I go home this weekend I'll be able to get at it.

Comment

Going through this same thing with my daughter's Festie. Can anyone say if there is anything other than price difference between a $5 new belt and a $10 new belt? Also, if it is an alternator (our issue) does anyone know where to find a reman alternator for less than $100?

Comment

^ IS it the Alt? have you checked the bearings and charging voltage? WARNING: a slipping belt can cause low charging voltage.

as far as the price of belts, typicaly the $$ belt has a better grade of rubber and is designed to be more flexable for longer life, but even low grade belts last for years nowadays
                            Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                            94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Changed the belt. $4.99 at Autozone. Belt that came off the car looked like it was original. Cracked, missing teeth, shiney.. I really don't know how it was working.
                              All in all, it took about about 7 minutes to change the belt, but I had a tough time getting the new belt on. Had to struggle to get it on, but it fit perfect into the groove and no more squeeling!!!
                              Yea for a $5 repair.

Comment

Working...
                              X