Vacuum solenoid, maybe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vacuum solenoid, maybe?

On the firewall of my '88 Festiva, I broke one of the pipes coming out of what looks like a vacuum solenoid. It has 3 identical looking solenoids, and I broke the one closest to the pasenger side. Can anyone tell me what these are, and what they do? Any help is greatly appreciated. J.Clarke

this is the EGR solenoid #2. i'm paraphrasing this out of the shop manual since i don't know and don't want to know crap about carbed festivas.
    this solenoid controls the main EGR valve after the engine reaches operating temp. it's normally open and it controlled by the ECA (brain box). the vacuum to the #2 valve comes from venturi vacuum so there's no flow until the throttle plates start to open. once they do, the ECA controls the main EGR valve by opening or closing the #2 EGR valve. all i know about EGR systems is that they feed a little exhaust gas into the fuel/air mix. if your #2 is broke from its vacuum source at the carb, my uneducated guess is that your milage may suffer and your exhaust is dirty. and the other 2 solenoids next to it are load control solenoids. one for A/C and one for other heavy electrical loads. they also are controlled by the ECA and apply vacuum to the throttle kicker servo which bumps up the idle to compensate the added loads. there's about 30 little external do-dads in the engine compartment to keep a carbed festiva running right. i strongly recommend a shop manual. section 55 is you new bible.
    Last edited by F3BZ; 12-04-2013, 11:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X