Urgent Headlight Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Urgent Headlight Issue

We are going to a rallyx today that's about 200mi away and I'm having an issue with the headlights. For some reason the fronts will not turn on. We bought a new relay but cannot find were it goes. This is a 1993 manual, and I have no idea why they stopped working. If anybody knows where the main relay is located please let me know asap. Also if there is something else that could cause this please let me know, we have to leave in about an hour. IMG_1735.jpgIMG_1736.jpgIMG_1737.jpgIMG_1738.jpg
    1993 Festy, 1.6SOHC, Aspire Suspension
    Stripped to bare bones, SCCA RallyX

Headlights relay is on driver fender in front of the strut tower packed in there it will be bolted with a ten mm . And will have a black rubber cover over the relay.
    Hope this helps .

Comment

Originally posted by william View Post
      Headlights relay is on driver fender in front of the strut tower packed in there it will be bolted with a ten mm . And will have a black rubber cover over the relay.
      Hope this helps .
      More specific? As you can see i have both of the relays in front of the tower off and neither of them is the same as the new one. The picture on the bench is the new relay, the photos after are the ones on the drivers side and passenger side. Unfortunatly none of them have the same harnes, and yess they all had a rubber sleeve over them.

Comment

Then you got the wrong relay... The headlights and running/tail relay will interchange so you can check if its a relay that way.
        I got my last relay from autozone the one the computer give them was wrong so i took mine off and they matched it up.
        Last edited by william; 12-07-2013, 10:33 AM.

Comment

One of the three wires in the fusible-link box on the driver front strut tower (in your pic 3) is for headlights--the one on the right. Replace the wire with a 30-amp (pink) long-leg fuse to see if that's the problem. Center one should be a 40 amp (green), outside ones 30 amp.

Edit: you might get lucky and be able to just clean up the contact points, and re-use the original wire. But upgrading to the colored fuses is the hot setup.
          Last edited by TominMO; 12-07-2013, 10:35 AM.
          90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
          09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

the main relay for the car is the one that is all rusted with the metal case in your 3rd pic the relay to the left with about 6" of wires connected to it and the round connector

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
              One of the three wires in the fusible-link box on the driver front strut tower (in your pic 3) is for headlights--the one on the right. Replace the wire with a 30-amp (pink) long-leg fuse to see if that's the problem. Center one should be a 40 amp (green), outside ones 30 amp.

Edit: you might get lucky and be able to just clean up the contact points, and re-use the original wire. But upgrading to the colored fuses is the hot setup.
              alright thanks, well give it shot.

Comment

Originally posted by 1chrisapple View Post
                the main relay for the car is the one that is all rusted with the metal case in your 3rd pic the relay to the left with about 6" of wires connected to it and the round connector
                If this was blown would it stop other things from working? It runs fine and everything else is working.

Comment

Might have to bolt on some cheap bajas from napa, running low on time

Comment

Working...
                  X