Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tires wearing on inside, but no negetive camber.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tires wearing on inside, but no negetive camber.

I bought these tires about half a year ago, they were practically brand new off the Metro at the Junkyard.

Half a year later, and maybe 6k miles on them, and the tires are wearing insanely fast on the inside on the front. The passenger side is the worst where it is almost bald on the inside. Thing is, I have Uncut Rio struts, so if ANYTHING I should have Positive camber and should be wearing on the outside.

I do have some balljoint play, but I see no play in the tie-rods. Should I just replace the lower control arms, and tie-rods, and then rotate the rear tires to the front and see where it goes from there?

I really don't want it to be the steering rack, because at that point if I had to replace it I would just see if I could find a power steering setup.
    1991 Ford Festiva BP (Full Aspire/Rio Swap) (337k Miles) (Around 95k Engine)
    2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2L DOHC Ecotec (Threw a Rod)
    1998 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.1 V6 (225k miles) Best MPG = 28

The only thing I don't like about power steering is a pump with bad seals and a slow drip.

Comment

I had this same thing happen to a tire of mine. The bolt that connects the front sway bar to the lca was loose.
      91 Festiva L "Erika" b3t swap on the way
      06 Jeep Cherokee Overland
      95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

This is only my opinion but if you have "uncut Rio struts" they effectively raised the front of the car.

This in turn lowered, or pushed downward, the lower control arm and the tie rod.

The "pushing downward" of the suspension/steering caused the tie rods to pull the steering knuckle inward at the tie rod connection leading to a "toe out" condition. Thus causing premature wear of the inner tread of the tires.

When I changed from Festiva struts to Aspire struts I didn't drive the car until an appointment was made with an alignment shop. Sure enough, toe out.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Toe out will cause the tires to roll in making them wear. My alignment guy said that your tires scrub 8 ft every mile for every 1/8" out of spec when too much toe is the issue.
          -Bryant

Comment

Alright thanks for all for the help. I will look into getting those struts cut sooner. I don't know why they didn't do the same with the 12s that were on there even longer than these 13s.

Sent from my SPH-M950 using Tapatalk
            1991 Ford Festiva BP (Full Aspire/Rio Swap) (337k Miles) (Around 95k Engine)
            2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2L DOHC Ecotec (Threw a Rod)
            1998 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.1 V6 (225k miles) Best MPG = 28

Comment

Originally posted by TorqueEffect View Post
              Alright thanks for all for the help. I will look into getting those struts cut sooner. I don't know why they didn't do the same with the 12s that were on there even longer than these 13s.

Sent from my SPH-M950 using Tapatalk
              Possible softer compound of the 13" tires as compaired to the 12"s. Simply a guess.

Anytime a vehicles ride height is changed, especially the front, the effect of either toe in or toe out will happen.

Unless it has a solid front axle.....

Comment

Our car has uncut Rio springs and that's how I like it, get it to an alignment shop soon, after 10k miles on our new tires they look darn good but then they are a good quality tire, they are Cooper CS3 touring, oh and they are 14" Good luck and if nothing else do a string alignment. use the search button for more help.
                Last edited by sc72; 12-09-2013, 09:15 PM.
                An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Comment

Working...
                X