No dash or tail lights??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No dash or tail lights??

I have a problem on my 1989 Festiva. It has a BP swap done by PO but the dash and taillight running lights don't work. Headlight work turn signals in rear work. The Hazard lights and brake lights work just no running lights. I have read a few forums stating they had ground issues. Can anyone tell me where I can begin to look. I have checked fuses and bulbs just to see obvious stuff would work. Is it possible aftermarket radio shorted something out?? Im stumped when comes to wiring so any help would be appreciated.
    1990 Red Festiva STOCK "pregnant roller skate"
    1989 Yellow Festiva BP swap "Freebird"
    2007 Ford F150 "black sunshine" full exhaust with x-pipe. K&N intake. Headman Headers.
    2001 Honda accord SOLD lots of goodies done suicide doors lowered 20 inch rims
    2005 Ford F250 6.0 Turbo Diesel "swamprat" 4 inch lift, 4 inch mbrp exhaust, egr delete, glowshift pillar gauges.
    1994 Ford F150 5.0 Completely stock.

'89 did not have a headlamp or parking lamp relay.
    Instrument panel lights are on the TAIL fuse. Check to see if it's burned out.
    The TAIL fuse gets it's power from the headlamp switch.

Parking lamps are on the MAIN fusible link.
    Check to make sure it isn't burned out.
    Last edited by bravekozak; 12-10-2013, 09:20 PM.

Comment

OK I will check that after work today see if that's the problem.
      2007 Ford F150 "black sunshine" full exhaust with x-pipe. K&N intake. Headman Headers.
      2005 Ford F250 6.0 Turbo Diesel "swamprat" 4 inch lift, 4 inch mbrp exhaust, egr delete, glowshift pillar gauges.

Comment

Ok so I checked the TAIL fuse and even changed it to make sure and it was ok. The MAIN fuse under hood appeared ok. I going to change it just to make sure but if that's not it what else could it be?

Comment

My friends aspire has this same problem. I will be watching this thread.
          91 Festiva L "Erika" b3t swap on the way
          06 Jeep Cherokee Overland
          95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

Just because the fuse is O.K. does not mean there is power. You need to probe the circuit with a test light to see if the test light comes on. Your headlamp switch could be fried.

Remember, parking light power to the headlamp switch comes from MAIN. Headlight power to the headlamp switch comes from HEAD. As I said before the TAIL fuse gets its power from the parking light portion of the headlamp switch.

The first thing I would probe is the TAIL fuse with the parking lights turned on (one click).
            Is there power?
            If not, I would open up the column covers and pull the connector with the white wire from main and see if it's alive. If it's got juice, then plug it back in and probe the red/black wire going out of the switch to the TAIL fuse. If you don't have any power coming out with the parking lights on, then do not under any circumstances purchase a $400 millon Mega Millions lottery ticket.
            Last edited by bravekozak; 12-11-2013, 04:41 PM.

Comment

Checked. There is power to MAIN and TAIL fuse with switch clicked on.

Comment

The connector has power to all connecters except white/blue one. To late to trace now. Any idea where that one goes

Comment

No such thing as white/blue on the wiring diagram. I will check my spare harness.
                  The problem lies between the Tail fuse and all of the parking lights. Red/green wire.
                  You have to trace it.
                  There is a blue connector to the rear tail lights. Is it plugged in? Is there power at the red/green terminal with the parking light switch turned on?
                  Red/green male to red/green female?

By the way, I will permit you to buy one single row of numbers for the $400M Mega Millions draw.
                  Last edited by bravekozak; 12-11-2013, 05:59 PM.

Comment

Lol yea I'm so lucky. I just hope i can figure this out.

Comment

ok so I getting back to this on my week off now. Does the harness for the BP engine change wiring for the lights as well or does that remain stock? Only thing I have found is a white/blue wire at the switch does not have juice. The rest have tested and have power.

Comment

Working...
                      X