Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

lifter making noise (messy oil change part 2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lifter making noise (messy oil change part 2)

i noticed after changing my oil my lifters are now noisy???
    it is ok when i rev it up but if it idles for a minute or two the start to click loudly.
    i used 10w 30 and just about 4 litres of it.
    the dipstick says full but i am thinking i should of used 5w30???
    so what did i do wrong???

shayne

5w and 10w flow about the same until a little bit below freezing.

What brand oil filter did you use?

If it's Fram...that might be your problem. I've heard lots of people complain about faulty anti-drain back valves on them. This means when you turn off your car the oil drains out of the filter and it takes a few seconds longer to get oil pressure up.

If it's a Fram I recommend replacing it with a quality filter. No need to change the oil.

Otherwise, it could be just be one of your HLA got dirty and it just happens to be you just changed your oil. VaderSS and I have both had good results with auto-rx cleaning the HLA. Mine was working fine until winter, then finally I replaced them. There is no chemical solution to mechanical problems after all.

If I could just convince the world to stop using Fram and Valvoline there'd be a lot better used cars on the lots.

www.dantheoilman.com
    AMSOIL dealer and window tinter.
    Trust me folks, you need www.auto-rx.com
    Go ahead and ask me why

Comment

no fram here.
      if it was a dirty HLA would it not do it all the time??
      most of the time it is good but every once in awhile i can here it so i turn off the car and check the oil .
      restart the car and listen and after 30 seconds i hit the gas pedal and it stops.
      my friend is a nissan mechanic and he says to use 5w30 and a different brand of oil.
      my other question is if it does get stuck(hla) will it wreck stuff rea bad??
      shayne

Comment

Many of us experience bad HLA. As long as the ticking stops eventually it's okay.

Like I said, unless the temp is below freezing (near 0F) then 10w and 5w flow about the same.

I'd recommend a treatment or two of www.auto-rx.com to see if it helps. Otherwise, replacing them is $90 or so from www.rockauto.com

My tick used to happen everytime I started the car. Then during my 2nd auto-rx cleaning phase it was only when my car had sat a day or two. By the end of the 2nd rinse phase it never happened.

Then the temps got low and it came back.

Even during the winter and a bad HLA or two at startup my used oil analyses came back looking really good.
        www.dantheoilman.com
        Go ahead and ask me why

Comment

Sticky Lifter

Lucas Oil Treatment. Same thing here... barely hear the motor now. Awesome stuff.

Comment

OMFG! Lucas?

Lucas oil stablizer is about an SAE 80 oil. Most likely your HLA problem went away because instead of inadequate oil flow to the HLA the Lucas just can't find it's way out of those tiny little holes after the oil cools.

Plus:

and:

I don't really think an SAE80 oil flows well during cold starts in Ontario. To each their own.
            www.dantheoilman.com
            Go ahead and ask me why

Comment

Working...
            X