Stiff transmission

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stiff transmission

Lately my transmission has gotten stiff. It takes more effort than normal the change gears. I recently hit curb in a parking lot. I couldn't see because of the snow and darkness. The fluid looks fine and i can't find any leaks. Anyone have experience with this?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Was the fluid at the full mark? I suppose its possible you may have bent a shift rod, if you drove over the curb, not just hit it.....

Comment

you think the curbshot had anything to do with it or just coincidence? i can't think of a reason that would affect your shifting. i'd hit the easy button first and check your linkage and bushings. maybe even some road debris is trapped in such a way as to make it stiff.

Comment

well I took2 capri's apart not long ago and the shift linkages on those were pretty much rusted solid and were stiff as hell so I would check linkage forbent or rust issues

Comment

Originally posted by koRnhead View Post
          Was the fluid at the full mark? I suppose its possible you may have bent a shift rod, if you drove over the curb, not just hit it.....
          I'm getting some fluid anyway. It's been a year since I changed it.

Originally posted by F3BZ View Post
          you think the curbshot had anything to do with it or just coincidence? i can't think of a reason that would affect your shifting. i'd hit the easy button first and check your linkage and bushings. maybe even some road debris is trapped in such a way as to make it stiff.
          The curbshot could be a coincidence, but it's the only recent incident that would explain it. It didn't seem stiff immediately following the curbshot. I'll check out the linkages later this week.

Comment

I let my 5spd run low on fluid and it became harder to pull it out of gear. I filled it back up but it is still a stiff shifter. I hope it will free itself up again someday.

Comment

The gear shift linkage sometimes gets stiff and makes it hard to shift. I lube the plastic bushings in several places under the car and it shifts smooth again.

Comment

Working...
              X