Please help!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help!!

Ok the other day I bought my first festiva after looking for months.... The only problem is it will idle fine but dies as soon as you give it any gas... Also it only starts when it is cold.... Any idea what it could possibly be?? I'm a newb to these cars lol

I could not get mine to run past idle when I had forgotten to reconnect the wiring to the vane air flow (VAF) sensor on the intake just behind the air filter. You should check that wiring and connector. Also, take the air filter out and reach in to determine if the flap on the vane air flow is flapping, and find out what it does to the car at idle.
    If it only works when cold it could be that the Bypass air control valve, the BAC valve, is sticking in some way to interfere with air flow. You could disconnect it from the air flow circuit and cap the hose lines so they don't leak vacuum.
    Make sure the throttle cable and the butterfly valve in the throttle body are operating properly.
    Check the PCV valve and lines it feeds to find out if it is all choked up with gunk.
    Thricetiva replaced Icetiva as the new ride
    Icetiva-3-race-car-build
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2533299

Comment

Fuel filter, water in gas? Hole in intake tube?

Comment

VAF hooked up?
        2008 Kia Rio- new beater
        1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
        1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
        1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
        1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
        1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
        1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
        1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

With the air flow sensor at the air box unhooked it will idle and rev if you rev it slowly... If you plug the sensor back up it dies immediatly...

Comment

O2 sensor?
            1988 MAZDA 121- B6T + G5MR SWAP IN PROGRESS.

Comment

Originally posted by Bean93 View Post
              With the air flow sensor at the air box unhooked it will idle and rev if you rev it slowly... If you plug the sensor back up it dies immediatly...
              This dose not make since the afm triggers the fuel pump it will Not run with out it.

Comment

Hence why Im thinking o2 sensor.
                The ecu will run the engine on a preset mix until the o2 sensor warms up.
                When warm, the o2 sensor takes control of the mix.
                If the car won't start when warm, I'd be looking at the o2.

This is my experience with b6's. I'm assuming the b3 would be the same
                1988 MAZDA 121- B6T + G5MR SWAP IN PROGRESS.

Comment

Originally posted by moz View Post
                  Hence why Im thinking o2 sensor.
                  The ecu will run the engine on a preset mix until the o2 sensor warms up.
                  When warm, the o2 sensor takes control of the mix.
                  If the car won't start when warm, I'd be looking at the o2.
                  If it is the sensor then just disconnecting it will partially solve the problem. It will run on the preset at all engine temps.
                  Thricetiva replaced Icetiva as the new ride
                  Icetiva-3-race-car-build
                  http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2533299

Comment

So try the mass air sensor and the o2 sensor??

Comment

I think what is being suggested is to keep the VAF plugged in and disconnecting the oxygen sensor.

This will at least put the ECU into a factory preset to at least keep the engine running.

Comment

Ok I will try that this evening.

Comment

Working...
                        X