Hypermiler mods. Electrical and mechanical

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hypermiler mods. Electrical and mechanical

This is what i plan to do on my next day off...

Install colorplast on the back end to seal up the rear bumper. I already have an airdam. I did the vigaro home depot with self tappers. It DOES help. However i drive faster at freeway speeds since i now have tires that are actually balanced. My old 12's kinda forced me to drive 65mph or under.

Momentary kill switch for ignition. I bought a single pole normally on switch. Hold it down and it interrupts the ignition. Do i just cut the black with red stripe and go inline on this or do i need a relay?

I also bought a dual pole momentary for ignition kill AND crank but it looks like without a relays i cant use it because the terminals on it are so tiny. Again if you hold it down it opens the switch. I wanted to originally use an extra festiva window washer switch to accomplish this but i just bought a cheap one from amazon. No one really has discussed killswitches on this forum very much, Ive done the searches. I really wish members would address this because i think killing the engine without having to cycle the key makes our ignition switches last longer. I go around a corner fast and i have a 50/50 chance of my keys flying out of their home as it is. Great to check the mailbox with engine running, not great if it fails on me in the future.

I know all fuel injection has decel cutoff for fuel but they do it on their own terms. Is there an affordable adjustable switch that can be actuated as soon as it sees decel vacuum figures, like -24m or so? Most ECUs bring fuel back online early, like at 1800rpm. If I'm still slowing down in gear a vacuum switch to keep injectors off longer would help ever so slightly. The key here is to have more and more things automatic.

I wouldn't mind tapping into the tps and killing the alternator at 70% throttle. To save gas you don't use 70% throttle often but if you can squeeze 1hp out of it then i want it!

So how do i do my electrical switches?
    1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Last edited by Larry Hampton; 12-27-2013, 07:31 AM.
    1963 Fairlane - future NSS drag car
    1965 Mustang Coupe - A-code car, restoring for/with my son
    1973 F100 longbed - only 22k original miles, 360/auto, disk, PS/PB dealer in dash A/C
    1996 Sonoma X-cab - son's DD
    2002 Grand Prix - daughter's DD
    2003 Sport Trac - 180k, 130k on replaced motor with new timing chains - F/S soon.
    2005 Accord - wife's DD
    2008 Mountaineer - step daughter's DD
    2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

I think you have to do a relay, just for safety if nothing else. With the switch on it'll allow the relay to be on. I had posed the question not long ago as I wanted to mount one on my shifter. As I recall someone said I'd need to kill the injectors as well. Whoops!! Looks like you were one of my experts. Lemme know what you end up finding out.
      1963 Fairlane - future NSS drag car
      1965 Mustang Coupe - A-code car, restoring for/with my son
      1973 F100 longbed - only 22k original miles, 360/auto, disk, PS/PB dealer in dash A/C
      1996 Sonoma X-cab - son's DD
      2002 Grand Prix - daughter's DD
      2003 Sport Trac - 180k, 130k on replaced motor with new timing chains - F/S soon.
      2005 Accord - wife's DD
      2008 Mountaineer - step daughter's DD
      2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

Use your momentary switch to kill the injectors, not the ignition.
        91GL BP/F3A with boost
        13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

I kill ignition with the key. I thought with batch fire you cant do it the same way as newer cars. I ttied to open a ground and the car still runs. If i kill the ecu thats worse than turning the jey off isnt it? Stumbling on a bump start is bad news

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
          1993 GL 5 speed

Comment

kill the 12v to the injectors (injectors are ground controlled so if you kill the power to them, they CANNOT fire)
            Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
            94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

This would be two wires to clip or one? How are motorcycles' handlebar killswitches wired that are fuel injection? On carbs CDI kill the ignition. When im driving festiva i shift in neutral turn key off turn it back to run and pop the clutch to resume with instant power. I'm weary of methods that do anything less.
              1993 GL 5 speed

Comment

Looks like if you cut the ignition after S212 fuel will still be pumped. If you cut power before S212 a lot of amps will be switched on & off through a relay and 3 system relays will be getting cycled. If you cut VPWR at the disty CPS, that is low amperage and will cut spark & injection.
                When I'm good I'm very, very good and when I'm bad I'm HORRID.

Comment

Working...
                X