No 5th gear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No 5th gear?

Ok guys, now that I got the cheapo festiva running well enough to actually get up on the highway, I realized it has no 5th gear...just neutrals in 5th. Anybody know what could be broken to cause that? Had a toyota one time with the same condition that had 5th gear contained in an easy to remove side case of the transmission...was fixed in a half hour of work with $80 in parts. Anyone been inside one of these or know if I'll get that lucky this time? Thanks.

How did you find out I have a fifth speed synchro for sale?

Comment

Not to sound funny but is it a 4sp?

Comment

According to another thread Zep started, it's fuel injected so it Should be a 5 spd. Of course someone could have put a 4 spd in to replace the 5 spd. But that should not give a "not engaged in gear" sound/issue.

Zep is the linkage solid and not sloppy?
        Jerry
        Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
        90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
        92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
        93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

Zep, sorry to say that on the Festiva trans there is not an easy to remove side cover like a lot of larger transmissions have. However, since it is a festiva and everything is small and simple, the whole transmission is pretty easy to remove and take apart. But it does have to be completely opened up to do it.
          No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

have a 5spd trans id sell u shipped for $125

Comment

So basically, I probably need to pull it out and open it up to see what's going on, huh? It feels like it's going into gear...but the engine just revs. All other gears are present and working, reverse included. Supposedly the car had a new clutch installed not long ago...so perhaps in the process something was broken?

$125 shipped for a working 5-speed? That would certainly be the best option I've found so far...I might have to take you up on that, I'll let you know. Damn this car is getting expensive in a hurry.

Comment

Not to sound annoying, but tear it apart and Take pics. Another gearbox that goes bad, hopefully a follow up of why. I see a lot of threads of issues, but no reason.

And syncos don't necessarily give gear, they just synch input shaft speed to match output shaft so things mesh easier without grind.

I have a Ford flathead 3 sp that is all straight cut gears and no synchros.

My aspire needs brass something fierce. I have to double clutch and gas petal to whirl up the input shaft and catch the synch on the downspin. Especially 2nd and overdrive. . Ppl hate driving my car.

Sent from my rooted HTC Supersonic using Tapatalk 2 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by jason_ View Post
                  Not to sound annoying, but tear it apart and Take pics. Another gearbox that goes bad, hopefully a follow up of why. I see a lot of threads of issues, but no reason.
                  Not at all. Everybody loves pics and such. I'm almost to the point where if I'm gonna pull the transmission, I might as well just pull it all and freshen up the engine too.

Comment

Working...
                  X