Exterior lock rubber washer substitute

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exterior lock rubber washer substitute

I found a good substitute for the rubber washers that always deteriorate on our external locks. It is in the plumbing section of the big-box hardware stores, where they have all the little rubber washers for faucets. It is called "Self-Forming Graphite Valve Packing", and comes as a grey rubbery flexible and formable rope, 3/32" thick x 24" long. Three of my external locks on Matthew didn't even have the stock rubber washers. I cut approx a 3" strip for each lock (driver door, gas filler door and hatch). For the hatch and gas filler I removed the locks to install, but for the driver door I didn't want to bother with doing that. I discovered that you can just push it in around the lock, with the lock still in the door, using a flat screwdriver to set it in place. Measure, cut, install took about a minute! I started with the middle of the rope at the top of the lock, and installed it down each side so the open end would be at the bottom.

$3.00, and enough for two Festys. No idea about its longevity, but it's cheap and easy even if you had to do it annually. I suppose you could paint it with a clear paint and a small brush, for added weather/UV protection.
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Awesome work I was just contemplating using o rings just this mornings on my car locks.

Comment

Originally posted by william View Post
      Awesome work I was just contemplating using o rings just this mornings on my car locks.
      Actually, I went there looking for O-rings, but they didn't have anything that was thin enough in that diameter. So I got this stuff.
      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Nice tip! I have had some luck cutting my own using some rubber gasket material from the parts store. Little time consuming though to have to remove everything first.
        - Form should follow function...

Comment

Also I discovered that you can cut it with your thumbnail, so the only install tool you need is something to push it between the lock and the door.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

or you can still get them from mazda part# 022358962 about $1.50 online
            or you can get them from kia part# 0(zero)B45558494 about $2.00 online

Comment

Cool guys
              -Greg
              Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
              BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
              Redneck Engineer
              FOTY - '09
              5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

Originally posted by F3BZ View Post
                or you can still get them from mazda part# 022358962 about $1.50 online
                or you can get them from kia part# 0(zero)B45558494 about $2.00 online
                Didn't know that, thanks.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Working...
                X