Exhaust leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust leak

The downpipe on my festy has a crack in it by the flange (by the o2 sensor). Has anyone used an aftermarket downpipe? I am doing research to figure out what I'm going to do. Thanks for your help.

I'm also wondering if this is the reason my idle is off? I can set it, but then it is low and then later it's fine. I don't understand why it changes.

Comment

Yes, that will cause the idle to be off. The o2 sensor will not read properly with a hole close to it.

I do not have any experience using any aftermarket down pipes, but if you know a good welder I can make up instructions and parts and pricing for one... could even do stainless steel!
      HULi ---------------------------------------------------------------------------> Any-where, any-way, any-time.
      "CL4P-TP" - 93 Festiva L

Comment

Would JB Weld be a decent temporary (or even permanent) repair? Or would the high heat be an issue?
        90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
        09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

I think the vibrations would keep it from adhering properly
          Last edited by defprun; 01-01-2014, 06:47 PM.
          1993 Festiva L "Wendy" BP n' stuff
          2013 Mazdaspeed 3 "The Kraken" -Stock.

Dave Forget

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
            Would JB Weld be a decent temporary (or even permanent) repair? Or would the high heat be an issue?
            It wasn't JB Weld, but I used another similar product to fill a gap I had in a Resonator pipe connection behind the cat. (Resonator was too big in diameter.) Well, not only did it not last very long, but man does that stuff stink when you heat it up! Don't think I would try that again.
            - Form should follow function...

Comment

I'd try stove cement, used for sealing cracks in wood stoves. No idea where to look for it.
              Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

fixed a hole in a header once with jb weld and a bolt.it don't last it stinks as the exhaust gets hot really just a get me by fix.

Comment

You used to be able to buy a material called 'muffler tape'. The tape is sort of like duct tape but is heat resistant and temperature cures/sets. Whatever you do is not likely to last for long because it's very hot out front. The O2 sensor screws into the cast iron exhaust manifold. Is that what you're looking for or is it the physical steel tubing downpipe itself? Walker makes aftermarket downpipes and they are double wall construction (ie quiet) and only pipes for autos (is opposed to manuals) are available nowadays. If fact that's great since the ATX pipes are larger diameter than the former MTX pipes and flow better.

Comment

You can have the mani brazed or welded, but you are not going to be able to fix it any other way! Nothing like jb or exhaust tape is going to work on the VERY HOT mani!

The expansion/contraction fron heat and cold will destroy any quick fix attempt!

Myself, I would be making a trip to a junkyard to get another.
                    Last edited by drddan; 01-02-2014, 12:57 PM.
                    Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
                    Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
                    Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
                    Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
                    http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

It is the downpipe, not manifold.

Comment

Opps, my bad! Down pipe crack close to the mani will still be very hot. Weld would be best for fixing.

Look on Ebay for down pipes. Bosal is a good brand, I have one, fits like stock. Aftermarket downpipes are made to stock specs.
                        Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
                        Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
                        Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
                        Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
                        http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

(cough) b6 exhaust system while you are at it. Im pretty sure if you buy the b6 downpipe off ebay it ALSO will fit 1.8's as it says 323 AND proteges. If you buy a festiva one youre stuck with festiva and b3. Just sayin.
                          1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

Working...
                          X