Replacing the fuel pump on a 92 GL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing the fuel pump on a 92 GL

Can anyone give me any tips on the best way to go about replacing a failing fuel pump on my '92GL auto? Getting tired of banging on the rear seat to keep the car running.

Flip the rear seat forward. Pull the carpet back to expose the plate about 6-12" from the edge behind the drivers seat. You will see a plate and a plug. Remove the bolts/screws in the plate and unplug the wiring harness. Remove the lower plate which has the fuel pump mounted to it. Wiggle it out of the hole. I'd replace the "sock" when replacing the pump. Reassemble in reverse of removal.
    Jerry
    Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
    90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
    92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
    93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

Denso tapes the palnut onto the instructions. Do not lose or remove it until you are ready to install it. Ask me how I know.

According to the Denso website, the proper fuel pump strainer is 952-0029

and the proper fuel pump is 951-0012

alternator 210-4183
      Last edited by bravekozak; 01-03-2014, 07:04 PM.

Comment

What I know about replacing pumps (this is my 3rd one) is that I have never been able to match OEM and always have had to adapt somehow. A previous pump was a Delphi which sounded like a hive of bees right from the start, one I just bought last week is a Spectra Premium and thankfully it is whisper quiet. A Carter pump is way out of my league financially. I have so far managed to re-use original strainers but not possible this time around. Concocted a filter out of 2 gas can sieves wired together.

Comment

Bert, I can't wait to pick up my resistor next week. I am planning on screwing it where the vapor recovery tank used to be. It has an aluminum heat sink, so it should be fine against the steel. It will quiet down the pump for my carbs, by running at half speed. I will find my little microphone and record the sound difference. I presume the pump should also last twice as long. I've never posted an mp3 before.
          Last edited by bravekozak; 01-03-2014, 07:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X