Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

After almost below zero temps, car no longer idles or runs properly.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After almost below zero temps, car no longer idles or runs properly.

Right now it sits at about 8 degrees Fahrenheit, I tired to start it this morning and immediately the ignition barrel isn't working properly. The car goes to start, but as soon as the key backs into the on position, the engine dies, now if I move the key to the on position without starting it, all the dash lights go off and the cooling fan kicks on, but if I back it a millimeter or two, the dash lights come on and cooling fan shuts off. So knowing this I was finally able to get it to stay running by making sure it lands in this sweet spot before the engine completely dies.

Once running, it sounds like it is running on 3 cylinders, even when I give it gas is sounds like it is running on 3 cylinders. No CE light or nothing. I tried running it around the block, sometimes when accelerating it bucks like it is running out of gas and whenever I put the clutch in, the engine would die but quickly restarted when I dumped the clutch.

After bringing it back home, I popped the hood to make sure nothing was disconnected, that when I saw gas dripping from the rain hose down onto the IAC valve, when running I also noticed it smoking, but still no CEL, and with it unplugged it won't even idle. After fixing the leak and drying up the gas, it still runs terribly.

I think the IAC is completely cooked, or there is frozen water in the fuel, or both. what do you guys think?
    Last edited by TorqueEffect; 01-03-2014, 12:00 PM.
    1991 Ford Festiva BP (Full Aspire/Rio Swap) (337k Miles) (Around 95k Engine)
    2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2L DOHC Ecotec (Threw a Rod)
    1998 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.1 V6 (225k miles) Best MPG = 28

Unplug the IAC electrical connector and adjust via the screw on the throttle body, and see if the issue is still there.
    Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
    91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

Do you use ethanol gas? I never do. Even in my lawnmower, snowblower or generator, I use Shell Super (no ethanol). I refuse to poison my babies.
      Last edited by bravekozak; 01-03-2014, 12:22 PM.

Comment

The screw with the cap that faces up towards the hood?

I know I tried playing with it when the IAC was still plugged in.

Originally posted by bravekozak View Post
        Do you use ethanol gas? I never do. Even in my lawnmower, snowblower or generator, I use Shell Super (no ethanol). I refuse to poison my babies.
        I used plain 87 Regular from Speedway, I have no idea if there is ethanol in there or not, because Ohio laws say gas stations don't have to tell ya, so they don't around here.

I will try what sketchman said, then at work I will grab a bottle of the stuff that keeps water from freezing in the gas and dump it in the tank.
        Last edited by TorqueEffect; 01-03-2014, 12:18 PM.

Comment

Yes, under the rubber plug. Mine was doing something like this and it went away when I deleted the IAC.

Though I've found it gets annoying during winter. Thinking about adding a thermostatic standalone one in the future, but it's pricey.

Standard Motor Products #AC369.

http://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.ph...2166&start=275

4th post down.

EDIT: Heh. Just found one for $30 shipped and snagged it. If you have good yards around it should be an easy thing to get.
          Last edited by sketchman; 01-03-2014, 12:47 PM.
          Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
          91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

Well it is running perfectly fine now.

With the IAC unplugged, it started right up, and stayed running. Curious since it ran like crap before with it unplugged, I plugged it back in and low and behold it ran just like it used to.
            Either the gas getting into the IAC caused the off idle and evaporated once it was sitting for a while, or there was an ice dam in the gas line that finally free'd up. I am still going to get some gas water treatment at work, since it is supposed to get this cold again.

Oh and also the Ignition switch is no longer playing up, works perfectly again. Man can the cold really screw with the systems in a car.

I can only guess it warmed up outside just enough for the car to run properly again.
            Last edited by TorqueEffect; 01-03-2014, 12:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X