Rear brake problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear brake problems

Had a strange issue today and maybe y'all can help. I was leaving work and noticed my park brake light on. Released it and started home but the car was lacking power and seemed like the brkes are dragging. Also as I would drive the park brake lever would rise by itself enough to light up the light on the dash.
    There are no obstructions on the rear beam
    Nothing is in a bind inside the car.
    The only thing I could think of would be rear brakes gone bad and causing a bind.
    Any ideas guys.
    I have an aspire swap waiting but it's supposed to be down to 7 degrees so it may have to wait.

Sent from Kingston Ga from my hillbilly handheld
    90 festy with 92 FI motor. Digital camo paint. BHAF. short throw. currently 47 MPGs

Sounds like the parking brake cable is sticking on one or both sides. I had that happen to mine a while back. You might be able to wiggle it from the wheel well and get it to disengage. I was lucky and mine released without removing the wheel/brake drum.
    Jerry
    Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
    90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
    92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
    93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

Incorrect diagnois removed. Sorry about that.
      Last edited by WmWatt; 01-03-2014, 06:35 PM.
      Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Did not know that. I will check

Sent from Kingston Ga from my hillbilly handheld
        90 festy with 92 FI motor. Digital camo paint. BHAF. short throw. currently 47 MPGs

Comment

i wouldn't think this be a problem in GA but i'm still betting its at least 1 of the parking brake mechanisms in the drum is froze in the park position. from under the car, is one or both secondary cables more slack than the other? compare the parking pawl tab that shows out of the backing plate. is one sticking out more than the other? you might be able to loosen it up with some hammer taps and a squirt of penetrant through the oval rubber grommet before you have to take off the drum.

Comment

Working...
          X