Broken camshaft timing wheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken camshaft timing wheel

hello everyone, so i started car today only to have it shut down after couple of seconds then tried to restart it and nothing just keeps cranking and turning over but no start open hood and i see the wheel completely broken off. i think it had something to do with freezing cold weather but any way if any one has any ideas or suggestions comments it would be well appreciated i have my mechanic stopping by tomorrow he says if its just the wheel and bolt we can fix it if its the cam then its shot new engine time what do u guys think?? 3.jpg1.jpg2.jpg

Can you unscrew what is left of the broken bolt inside the front of the cam?
    Where is the head of the cam bolt?
    Did it fall on the ground?
    Does the cam gear look damaged in any way?
    Last edited by bravekozak; 01-07-2014, 05:50 PM.

Comment

If your bolts are freezing off you better check your...........
      When I'm good I'm very, very good and when I'm bad I'm HORRID.

Comment

Ok so i had mechanic look at it he says the cam bolt broke off and dowl pin also broke off. we found bolt on floor. says just have to replace bolt and dowl pin, retime and we should be golden but im having problem finding dowl pin ford says 5mm x 10mm but can seem to locate a place that sells them any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Comment

I had the same thing happen. It was from previous owners not adding oil when needed. I was able to put a spot weld on what remained of the pin and it worked until the cam seized again.
          -Greg
          Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
          BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
          Redneck Engineer
          FOTY - '09
          5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

Originally posted by goldenmean View Post
            Ok so i had mechanic look at it he says the cam bolt broke off and dowl pin also broke off. we found bolt on floor. says just have to replace bolt and dowl pin, retime and we should be golden but im having problem finding dowl pin ford says 5mm x 10mm but can seem to locate a place that sells them any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.
            Dowel pins can be had at machine supply shops. Try Fastenal or Graingers or similar bolt supply and/or machine supply
            Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
            Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
            Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
            Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
            http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

Make sure you find out why the cam shaft became tight and or frozen before you go to all the labor of reassembly, Is your distributor turning freely?

Comment

Working...
              X