Removing transmission

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing transmission

Looking at swapping my 4 spd for a 5 in the next few weeks.

How do I go about removing the axles from the tranny? Do I have to remove the whole spindle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The drive axles just pop out if you pry them. Just be sure not to pierce the boot. I highly recommend getting the manual for this procedure. It took me and two friends a solid day to get everything removed and to pull the tranny. You also need to be able to support the engine as it requires taking off one of the engine mounts. Were I to do it all again after the first time it would cut out about four hours, knocking it down to an eight hour job. The number one thing I learned is to not bother with a tranny jack. We spent about twenty minutes slowly lowering it and getting it out when one of us could have easily laid down and just lowered it on to our chest in about thirty seconds. Essentially you start with the axles, then just come in from the top and start removing parts until you've all the way down to the transmission, then take off part of the frame underneath the transmission and lower it down.

Comment

make sure you stick something inside of tranny after you remove the first axle that holds the bearings in place I just roll up a small piece of card board and stick in it.also recommend you getting a manual for your car trust me you will use it enough to pay for itself. and the tranny has a few small 10mm bolts that hold the block separator plate on make sure you have them all out or you'll be puling on it and thinking you have them all out but it will not be going anywhere but once all of them are out you cane put two fingers in the hole were the starter sits and just lower it to ground.

Comment

I have the manual just haven't looked through it yet. I'm going to just pull the whole motor when I do it. Have a small oil leak near the oil pump so I'm gonna put a new pan gasket and oil pump gasket on.

Comment

So it looks like I'm going to have to remove the steering knuckle from the control arms?

Comment

Undo the knuckle from the shock and undo the sway bar from the control arm. You dont need to remove the knuckle from the control arm.
            1993 Festiva L "Wendy" BP n' stuff
            2013 Mazdaspeed 3 "The Kraken" -Stock.

Dave Forget

Comment

Only bolts that have to come out of the knuckle are the two top bolts holding it to the strut. To get the clearance you need to remove the axle, you will need to turn the steering wheel full left for the right side, and full right for the left side. No need to remove the nut holding it to the sway bar, or the steering tie rod.
              No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

If you remove the strut from the knuckle there may be enough slop in in the bolt holes to affect the camber. At least that's the way mine is. It's been a while, but I believe I got clearance by removing the one bolt on the control arm and carefully backing off the 3 nuts on the strut tower and of course the sway bar, brake caliper and wheel. Then the strut swings away better. If that's not enough, remove the tie rod.
                When I'm good I'm very, very good and when I'm bad I'm HORRID.

Comment

Originally posted by tooldude View Post
                  If you remove the strut from the knuckle there may be enough slop in in the bolt holes to affect the camber. At least that's the way mine is. It's been a while, but I believe I got clearance by removing the one bolt on the control arm and carefully backing off the 3 nuts on the strut tower and of course the sway bar, brake caliper and wheel. Then the strut swings away better. If that's not enough, remove the tie rod.
                  So I have to remove the caliper? Was hoping I didn't have to.

Comment

NO to remove the axle,remove one bolt.The pinch bolt at the Ball Joint. Its that easy,really. Nothing else- You can turn the wheel or grab the rotor to turn the assembly;y out of your way.
                    Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
                    Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
                    Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Sorry guys, I guess I'm thinking of what I did on 2 different occasions 12-15 years ago. I remember I only had to loosen one part, but one time I loosened the strut nuts for some reason and it sure gave me a lot of room.
                      When I'm good I'm very, very good and when I'm bad I'm HORRID.

Comment

You can remove the tie rod from the knuckle also,but that's it. Then you can pivot the knuckle and strut and brake in any position you want.
                        Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
                        Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
                        Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Here is a great thread for the entire trans removal with good tips,
                          -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Nancy- 1.8L BP, aspire swap, g-trans
                          The Adventures of Nancy! Build Thread
                          -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Musica! Click me!

Comment

Working...
                          X