parking brake cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• parking brake cable

they dont make em anymore, what do you guys do if one breaks (like mine) ???? anybody got some for sale ???
    He said a bad word :nono:

1990 Festiva
    1987 F-250 diesel-powered
    1984 Ironhead Chopper
    1999 Ducati Monster

^^ Look for them on festivas in junk yards. I got lucky and pulled one for mine off a Festiva in a junk yard. I even needed brake adjusters which I got also. The whole brake cable system is easy to remove from a Festy.
    1993 Ford Festiva L blue 170,000 miles
    1990 Ford Festiva L Plus white 190,000 Auto, currently waiting to have another engine put in.
    1995 Ford F150 XLT black 203,000 miles
    2002 Honda CRV silver 180,000 miles
    2003 Toyota Rav4 Sport black 94,000 miles
    2008 Sym Rv250 dark grey 30,000 miles. My scooter.
    1989 Ford Festiva LX black 233,000 miles. Sold to my better half's son.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by muleskinner View Post
      The whole brake cable system is easy to remove from a Festy.
      Yeah, its the reinstallation that's going to be a PITA! LOL
      '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
      '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
      '92 Aqua parts Car
      '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
      '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
      Your holy ghost will not save you.
      Your God plutonium will not save you.
      In fact...
      ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

My e-brake has not worked for 2 years now. Well it kind of engages when you pull up all the way.

Just find somewhere flat to park and leave it in 1st.

Cheap fix.
        91 Festiva L "Erika" b3t swap on the way
        06 Jeep Cherokee Overland
        95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

Also, don't go for a drive up Market Street in San Fran in the middle of rush hour.
          Last edited by bravekozak; 01-10-2014, 07:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chobobulous View Post
            My e-brake has not worked for 2 years now. Well it kind of engages when you pull up all the way.

Just find somewhere flat to park and leave it in 1st.

Cheap fix.

They can be fixed for very cheap, using parts from Lowes.
            Depending on were your cable broke, usually on the passenger side guide which hold moisture and the cable rusts through/snaps when engaged.
            '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
            '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
            '92 Aqua parts Car
            '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
            '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
            Your holy ghost will not save you.
            Your God plutonium will not save you.
            In fact...
            ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Originally posted by Pu241 View Post
              They can be fixed for very cheap, using parts from Lowes.
              Depending on were your cable broke, usually on the passenger side guide which hold moisture and the cable rusts through/snaps when engaged.
              Its not broke. Im pretty sure its just streched. I think that if I tightened the middle part it would work again. The tightener is just rusted real good.
              95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

Chob, Have you already tightened the adjuster on the e-brake handle all the way? And loosened the pivot points inside the rear drum?

As far as the OP is concerned - you can get them brand new from fourgreen. http://www.fourgreen.com/store/scrip...T-p-KK15344150
                Double check the part # on that.... and I'm not sure how much shipping will cost you. But I'd love to buy a brand new one from them, if just to have it on hand.

Before fourgreen popped up it was impossible to find them new, and sometimes they would get pricey on e-bay etc. I've sold them for >$80 before. I have an extra one but I'm inclined to keep it, unless you want to pay me more than it would cost for me to buy a new one from fourgreen :p
                ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
                91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
                1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
                2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

Originally posted by skeeters_keeper View Post
                  Chob, Have you already tightened the adjuster on the e-brake handle all the way? And loosened the pivot points inside the rear drum?

Ive tightened it up at the handle all the way. Never got around to ckecking the pivot point
                  95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

Yea pu
                    , thats what happened and I gotta have one for a NC inspection
                    Last edited by stonemaster; 01-10-2014, 10:50 PM.

1990 Festiva
                    1984 Ironhead Chopper
                    1999 Ducati Monster

Comment

We rigged it with a couple of cable clamps for now but I wanna be ready for next time

1990 Festiva
                      1984 Ironhead Chopper
                      1999 Ducati Monster

Comment

Originally posted by stonemaster View Post
                        We rigged it with a couple of cable clamps for now but I wanna be ready for next time
                        If you use the search feature you will discover that FourGreen sales out of Korea still stocks all manner of Festy parts and you will not be able to beat their prices. It's a bit convoluted to deal with these people (you have to use a Russian parts manual to identify what it is you need (parts numbers) and Festys are referred to as Prides and Mazda 121s outside of n. America, but for sure they will have what you want.

Comment

I see in the above posts, that no one has messed with the pivot in the rear drums!
                          This is an important piece of the E-brake system. The pivots get rusty and freeze up, thus doing exactly as desribed in above posts.

Take the rear drums off, remove the pivot parts, clean them as best you can, put the pivot in a vise and then take a hammer and tap around sideways on the pivot until it gets free. There are 3 pcs to the pivot, get them to all pivot freely. What you are trying to do, is spread the rivet heads that hold the 3 pcs together, just a little. This will free up the pivot pcs so they can move. After they are free, grease the heck out of 'em and re-install.

Voila! A working E-brake! You will be astonished at how well they work after this is done.
                          Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
                          Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
                          Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
                          Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
                          http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

Originally posted by drddan View Post
                            I see in the above posts, that no one has messed with the pivot in the rear drums!
                            This is an important piece of the E-brake system. The pivots get rusty and freeze up, thus doing exactly as desribed in above posts.

Take the rear drums off, remove the pivot parts, clean them as best you can, put the pivot in a vise and then take a hammer and tap around sideways on the pivot until it gets free. There are 3 pcs to the pivot, get them to all pivot freely. What you are trying to do, is spread the rivet heads that hold the 3 pcs together, just a little. This will free up the pivot pcs so they can move. After they are free, grease the heck out of 'em and re-install.

Voila! A working E-brake! You will be astonished at how well they work after this is done.
                            That presumes you have an intact cable from front to back and side to side. But you are quite right; the pivot point of the brake adjusters inside the drum (on both Festy and Aspire versions) on my cars have to be freed up at least once a year. Which means clamping in a vise and using a hammer or large pliers to move the arm until it's unseized again. At same time is good idea to free up the toothed 1/2 adjuster wheel; they've often become stiff too.

Comment

Originally posted by Pu241 View Post
                              Yeah, its the reinstallation that's going to be a PITA! LOL
                              I installed the one I took out of the Festy in the junk yard with no problem. I greased up the cable & fished it through the floor first, connected it to the brake handle, then installed the rest of it all the way to the adjusters, that I also got from the same Festy. Ta-da!!
                              1993 Ford Festiva L blue 170,000 miles
                              1990 Ford Festiva L Plus white 190,000 Auto, currently waiting to have another engine put in.
                              1995 Ford F150 XLT black 203,000 miles
                              2002 Honda CRV silver 180,000 miles
                              2003 Toyota Rav4 Sport black 94,000 miles
                              2008 Sym Rv250 dark grey 30,000 miles. My scooter.
                              1989 Ford Festiva LX black 233,000 miles. Sold to my better half's son.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X