Reverse grind?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reverse grind?

So the other day I purchased a 1993 Ford Festiva with 16K miles on a rebuilt engine. The guy I bought it from had severe OCD and replaced nearly everything under the hood, including suspension, ceramic brakes, ect.

Anyways, when I purchased the Festiva a couple days ago, Reverse worked without issue. However today I noticed it's developed a grind when going into Reverse at a complete stop, but it seems almost random. This morning, I turned on the car, put it in reverse and backed out of the garage without a grind. However later on, after driving for about ~30 minutes, I was putting it to reverse backing out a gas station, and it grinded.

Any ideas?

Another thing to note is that it doesn't grind into 2nd when the cars off.

Comment

Gear eater? Make sure you have ATX fluid.

Comment

ATX Fluid? Or ATF (Automatic Transmission) fluid?

Comment

Originally posted by m3t4lm4n222 View Post
          ATX Fluid? Or ATF (Automatic Transmission) fluid?
          Potato potahto same stuff!
          91 Festiva L "Erika" b3t swap on the way
          06 Jeep Cherokee Overland
          95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

Originally posted by Chobobulous View Post
            Potato potahto same stuff!
            Ahh okay. Any type of ATF fluid in particular? Any idea how much fluid the 5 speed holds?
            Last edited by m3t4lm4n222; 01-12-2014, 07:03 PM.

Comment

I want to say its just under 3 quarts. Like 2.7 or 2.9. Im not positive, someone will chime in here in a minute. The speedo gear acts as a dip stick. This is also where you fill it. It is attached with one 10 mm bolt. Be super careful when taking it our and dont pry on the tab or you will just end up breaking it off.
              95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

Originally posted by Chobobulous View Post
                I want to say its just under 3 quarts. Like 2.7 or 2.9. Im not positive, someone will chime in here in a minute. The speedo gear acts as a dip stick. This is also where you fill it. It is attached with one 10 mm bolt. Be super careful when taking it our and dont pry on the tab or you will just end up breaking it off.
                I'll probably just have it done at a shop. I know it'll cost a bit more, but I work the next couple of days and won't have time to do it.

Comment

It's so easy.

Don't pay a shop to do It!!
                  Running 40psi.....in my tires.

http://aspire.b1.jcink.com/index.php?showtopic=611&st=0

Comment

Yea. It takes like 20 minutes to do. Hardedt part is finding a super long funnel. Don't try to long pour like me. It took me 3.5 quarts to fill it lol.
                    95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

I use Royal Purple Max ATF. Great stuff,
                      If it don't fit, use a bigger hammer!

'93 Green L - ' Tiva

Comment

I know how to change transmission fluid in Automatics and Manuals. The hardest part with most manuals is pumping the fluid back in the transmission on a level surface. It's not a matter of not knowing how to do it. It's a matter of having no time.

I just drove my younger brother home and it didn't grind when I backed out the driveway, however when I got home and let the car sit while running for a moment, I put it in reverse, it made a grinding noise and sort of jumped back. Then I shifted out of reverse, into 1st, then back into reverse...No grind. Any ideas? For now I can just start the car in reverse.

Comment

Pennzoil Syncromesh works great too. That is what I am currently running. I honestly notice no difference between this stuff, and the ATF that was in it.
                          But I have seen Syncromesh is highly praised amongst the automotive community as a whole, read things like people putting this stuff in their BMWs, Porsches, and Audis.

Mine also does something like what the OP is saying. Makes a kinda grind/crunch when shifting into reverse, and can feel the car kinda move. I doesn't always do it either. I just though of it as a quirk since it has been doing this since I bought the car a year and a half ago.

I also had a gear crunch when shifting into second or third the other day, never done it before or since. I may have to check my fluid levels make sure I didn't spring a leak.

Originally posted by m3t4lm4n222 View Post
                          I know how to change transmission fluid in Automatics and Manuals. The hardest part with most manuals is pumping the fluid back in the transmission on a level surface. It's not a matter of not knowing how to do it. It's a matter of having no time.

I just drove my younger brother home and it didn't grind when I backed out the driveway, however when I got home and let the car sit while running for a moment, I put it in reverse, it made a grinding noise and sort of jumped back. Then I shifted out of reverse, into 1st, then back into reverse...No grind. Any ideas? For now I can just start the car in reverse.
                          These are rather easy to fill, just a 10mm bolt holding the speedo gear in, and pull the speedo out of the transmission. This also works as a very very hard to read dipstick. this is also the hole you use to fill the transmission.
                          Last edited by TorqueEffect; 01-12-2014, 08:52 PM.
                          1991 Ford Festiva BP (Full Aspire/Rio Swap) (337k Miles) (Around 95k Engine)
                          2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2L DOHC Ecotec (Threw a Rod)
                          1998 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.1 V6 (225k miles) Best MPG = 28

Comment

I bought a metered, filtered funnel with a twist-lock and a 2-ft hose (with a cap!) for $7 at Walmart. Changing your trans fluid is actually faster than an oil change. I agree. Don't pay a shop.
                            In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
                            There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

^ I have the same funnel. ^
                              It makes transmission refills a breeze.
                              Last edited by rmoltis; 01-14-2014, 06:21 AM.
                              Running 40psi.....in my tires.

http://aspire.b1.jcink.com/index.php?showtopic=611&st=0

Comment

Working...
                              X