94 Ford Ranger Down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 94 Ford Ranger Down

You guys have been more help than any other forum I've ever been on so I'm trying this here. My daughter has a 94 Ford Ranger 4x4 with a 4.0L engine and auto trans. A month or so ago she got the rear wheels stuck in gravel and panicked. Didn't call for help, didn't think about the 4 wheel drive. She sat and spun the tires in reverse digging a pretty significant rut under both wheels. The result appeared to be a burned tranny because 1st and 3rd gear appeared shot. Today though I got it moving. At first it would hardly move in 1st or 2nd but suddenly it let go and drives really well shifting through all forward gears. Reverse though is tough but I notice a thud in the left rear when the truck stopped in reverse. Moving forward I heard a clank in the left rear when stopping. I'm thinking either the differential gears were shaved OR there is a problem with th rear bearings.

I'm going to drop both the tranny pan and diff cover to check for shavings this week. Also going to check bearings. Any other suggestions? Thanks
    '93 Festiva GL / "HOT ROD"
    '02 F-150 Supercrew
    '02 Excursion 4x4
    '98 Jeep Cherokee Classic Limited

I would also check for possibly something going on with the left rear brake assembly.

The "thud and clank" coming from the same corner in 2 different direction has me thinking brakes on that corner.

That may also explain;

"Today though I got it moving. At first it would hardly move in 1st or 2nd but suddenly it let go and drives really well shifting through all forward gears."

Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
    X