'89 carbd : Starts, then dies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '89 carbd : Starts, then dies

Neighbor has an '89 carbd 4 speed. He started it to warm it up in the arctic tundra of Iowa the other day. It runs for 20 minutes, he hops in it to leave, it dies. Hits the key, turns over but won't start. Comes home that night, turns the key, starts right up. Runs 2 minutes, dies, won't start. Takes it to his mechanic, starts, runs 2 minutes, dies. Mechanic changes module inside distributor, starts, runs 2 minutes, dies. Checks fusible links, says there's power to both sides. Determines that when car dies, no spark.

I talked to the mechanic, he thinks something is getting hot, ie a module or something, and stopping the flow of current.

I am by no means a mechanic, but I am definitely lost in the carbd arena. Anybody have this problem that can point me in the direction to getting this car running? Diagnosis tips? Etc?

Thanks in advance,
    Dan Levitan
    ENFORCER - Midwest Festiva Inc., Iowa

#1 '90 Sport to modified Lx - RollazX
    #2 .....Cheesehead
    #3 '91 White - Donor Car
    #4 .....Montana Project
    SOLD----Levistiva for $1500
    Bought her back for $450
    Now that's darn near priceless!!

Carby!!!

Check the rubber fuel line at the bottom of the firewall. There is a short piece of rubber fuel line, that connects to the metal fuel line at the bottom of firewall, coming from the tank, at the bottom of the firewall. This goes to the fuel filter on firewall and is about 4 inches long. This line has to make a turn to reach the filter, and with age it gets soft, and the VACUUM from the mech fuel pump can collapse and twist this fuel line and can cut off the fuel! Replace this rubber piece with a new one about a foot long.

Your description is exactly how my carby acted when my rubber fuel was collapsing. This has happened to 3-4 other members here also.
    Last edited by drddan; 01-13-2014, 02:20 AM.
    Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
    Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
    Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
    Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
    http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

In a no spark situtaion I'd clean, then check the ignition components. With no spark at all I'd look first at the coil and coil wire. Can be checked with a volt meter. A search of this website or a general search of the Internet would display instructions.
      Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

I didnt see the part where the mechanic determined there was no spark when it dies. These carbys are simple and there is not a lot that can show a no spark situation. Really the only thing else, since you said the module in disty was changed, is THE COIL.

Still, I would check the fuel line I described, as it will be a problem at some point.
        Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
        Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
        Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
        Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
        http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

It sounds like the ECA could have a problem, maybe from the temperature extremes, or maybe the ignition switch. If it starts and dies again, leave the key on and check for voltage at the coil which comes from the ignition switch.
          When I'm good I'm very, very good and when I'm bad I'm HORRID.

Comment

Why did the mechanic replace the module inside the distributor? Was it burned out? Is he using a non-stock ignition coil? without a ballast resistor?

Comment

Working...
            X