Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Noisey Speedo, then the needle broke off....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noisey Speedo, then the needle broke off....

On the way to work on the Interstate, horrible screeching nosie from the cluster, I watch the speedo needle bounce back and forth. It started at 45 and pegged past 85 and held there. Bounced a few more time and the needle popped off the gauge and is now laying in the cluster. The nosie contiuned off and on throughout the commute. The odo is working still..

Question:
    I hear replacing the cluster is pretty easy, I would like to have the tach. does the tach cluster fit into the non-tach car? is there any needed modifications?

Anyone have a good deal or know of one for a tach cluster?

93 L EFI 5 speed

Thanks
    David

Just unscrew the speedo cable at the speedo gear. Remove cluster bezel.
    Pull cluster slightly forward, carefully remove the two connectors from the speedo and the speedometer cable. Renove broken cluster. Pull cable back, then forward around the right side of the steering column support. Install plug and play tach cluster in reverse order.
    Last edited by bravekozak; 01-17-2014, 09:04 AM.

Comment

Mine did the same think, yesterday morning..
      93 festiva aka "the sexy"
      04 blown GT stang
      99 wrangler (in the middle of a 5.2 swap)

Comment

Brave--- You are the man! A Festiva machine.. Thanks for the advice.. My hunt for a cluster has begun!

Comment

I you should decide that you want to just replace the cluster with one without a tach, I sill have the orange face one that I took out of Trixie (79,4xx miles on the odometer) .
          It is perfect condition, all lights work. If interested, let me know and I will post it in the FS thread with pictures priced at $25 shipped.
          I was saving it in case I had a problem with the tach cluster I put in her but it seem to working great.

Comment

1990new.. YES! I will PM you

Comment

It would be a good idea to lube your cable while you are at it.

Post your Festiva or Aspire repair and maintenance issues. - USE THIS FORUM FOR ANY TECHNICAL RELATED POST (IE. How do I change my oil?, How to remove axle from tranny?, etc)

Comment

1990New,
                Thanks, I got it in the mail last night... I will be installing it soon... Thanks again,
                David

Comment

Working...
                X