Head job?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Head job?

So now that I have your attention...lol.

I really am in need of a head job, or something. Looking for options and advice. So, the problem is that my 93 festy is showing signs of needing new lifters. I could just replace them, but was thinking there may be a better option. There lies my question to you all.

If I gotta mess with the head, is there a better option? Aspire head? Other vehicle head? Ported? Polished? Bigger valves? Better cam? Etc...

Thanks!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
    HULi ---------------------------------------------------------------------------> Any-where, any-way, any-time.
    "CL4P-TP" - 93 Festiva L

All of the above!
    Running 40psi.....in my tires.

http://aspire.b1.jcink.com/index.php?showtopic=611&st=0

Comment

How many miles on the engine?
      If its just the lifters, try lower weight oil and see if that helps.
      Otherwise, you put a new head on a worn engine and you'll blow by the rings.
      '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
      '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
      '92 Aqua parts Car
      '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
      '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
      Your holy ghost will not save you.
      Your God plutonium will not save you.
      In fact...
      ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

If it's coming off for any reason, touch up those valve faces and seats. Only thing better then crisp valves is more compression!

When they're out, shave 40 off. Making chambers smaller increases squeeze! Remember to polish, any ugly casting will attract carbon and create ignition other then from the plug.

Sent from my rooted HTC Supersonic using Tapatalk 2 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Pu241 View Post
          If its just the lifters, try lower weight oil and see if that helps.
          217k miles.
          Thought about the oil too so recently dropped to 0w-30. It seems to be a bit better, still not where it should be.

HULi ---------------------------------------------------------------------------> Any-where, any-way, any-time.
          "CL4P-TP" - 93 Festiva L

Comment

Originally posted by jason_ View Post
            If it's coming off for any reason, touch up those valve faces and seats. Only thing better then crisp valves is more compression!

When they're out, shave 40 off. Making chambers smaller increases squeeze! Remember to polish, any ugly casting will attract carbon and create ignition other then from the plug.

I was thinking that too. Would you suggest the stock head? If I understand correctly I can get an aspire head, clean it up, and it will be better than stock cleaned up.

"CL4P-TP" - 93 Festiva L

Comment

Oh yea... about the lower end. Should I just replace the rings or is there some sort of inspection for them? Compression test before the head swap would not be accurate I guess?

"CL4P-TP" - 93 Festiva L

Comment

How much money are you wanting to spend?

Try some seafoam in the oil.
                91GL BP/F3A with boost
                13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

New lifters are about $8.00 each at Rockauto. A little pricey to do them all but I have never heard a tick since I replaced mine.

Comment

Originally posted by Huli View Post
                    I was thinking that too. Would you suggest the stock head? If I understand correctly I can get an aspire head, clean it up, and it will be better than stock cleaned up.

/me shrugs

I drive b aspire

I was waiting for pistons, so I took a stock aspire head and milled so much off people thought I was crazy. Still putting 100 miles daily on it. Hard miles too. I bounce Rev limiter often.

Not sure if it makes difference. I used what was already applied.

I purchased it originally with a burned valve. Just a heads gasket and new valve, 80k later, burned another.

So completely redid this block, 20 over, new valves, punched in new seats and guides, and I even took Chilton's advice and did a regrind on the new factory exhausts so they're 44* face, not 45*. And cut some custom stones so I could reshape seats and move my contact area closer to center of valve face, and make it narrower. I went with something between 3/32 and 7/64th . It was a good day of tedious work. And beer. It makes Smaller contact area that slams harder to prevent carbon to hang valve open.

Well see.....

Last edited by jason_; 01-21-2014, 06:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pu241 View Post
                      This. I've experienced this myself. Spent time redoing a head, then the rings let go shortly afterward.
                      Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
                      91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

Originally posted by sketchman View Post
                        This. I've experienced this myself. Spent time redoing a head, then the rings let go shortly afterward.
                        Do you recomend changing the rings along with the head?

"CL4P-TP" - 93 Festiva L

Comment

I've had great luck with just redoing 3 heads. 1 on my bp, 1 on my b6t, 1 on a neon I had forever sold it and it was driven daily by a high school girl. I usually just go in and clean the pistons and slap it back together. I would say it's only different with turbo applications cause it takes more pressure. If you aren't feeling a loss of power and just hear a slight tick just redo the head and if need be you can do the pistons whenever cause you know you have a good head.
                          1988 Ford Festiva "Sonic" BPT g25mr MS2 standalone ecu, FOTY '11, Best Beater FMV, Fan Favorite FMVI

1989 Ford Mustang GT 5.slow

1996 Ford F-150

Comment

No loss of power at all. Just the ticking, louder ticking at take offs, and occasional super loud cold start ticking drum solo of doom.

"CL4P-TP" - 93 Festiva L

Comment

Recomend a different head than stock?

I think I am going to get another head so I can clean it up at my leisure and slap it on; rather than having my car down for a week or two.

"CL4P-TP" - 93 Festiva L

Comment

Working...
                              X