Transmission Ticking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission Ticking

Hello Guys! This is my first post here, I am a happy new Festiva owner! I purchased a 1991 Ford Festiva 5 speed a few weeks back and have been driving it since. The owner before me had kept up with the maintenance quite well recording oil changes, timing belt changes, tires etc (has 262k miles) The car runs and drives great but has had a ticking sound since I bought it. I searched the forums a little to see if this same question has been asked and I did not find an answer, if this has been asked, I apologize!

Ticking sound
    The ticking sound is transmission related, not engine. While driving in any gear with low to medium load on the engine, I can hear a constant ticking. If I let off the gas even slightly so there is VERY low or no load on the engine, the ticking stops, if I press in the clutch, ticking stops, if I put it in neutral while moving, ticking stops. I can't tell for sure but it seems like at higher speeds (45+ the ticking sound is gone). I have put over 1000 miles on it since I bought it and nothing has changed still drives fine, shifts smooth, clutch doesn't slip and has the correct amount of transmission fluid. Last off, the ticking is consistent while going straight or turning, does NOT tick in reverse.

I am going to get a video on my way home from work tonight, hopefully someone has dealt with this before. I plan on putting in a new timing belt and a few other things this spring/summer, I would like to fix whatever this ticking noise is while I am at it!

Thank you in advance for any help!

You have to strain to hear it, but that is the ticking sound I hear, the speed of the ticking is pretty consistent in any gear. I also realized today that it DOES tick in reverse. Searching around more reading about similar sounds with different transmissions I believe it may be the pilot bearing, throw out bearing, or possibly the input shaft bearing. If anyone has any experience with this I would love to hear your side. Thank you in advance!

Comment

When sitting still in neutral, clutch not depressed, does it click, or only when moving? When driving on an open road with no other cars, turn the engine off while in a high gear and see it the ticking remains.
      1963 Fairlane - future NSS drag car
      1965 Mustang Coupe - A-code car, restoring for/with my son
      1973 F100 longbed - only 22k original miles, 360/auto, disk, PS/PB dealer in dash A/C
      1996 Sonoma X-cab - son's DD
      2002 Grand Prix - daughter's DD
      2003 Sport Trac - 180k, 130k on replaced motor with new timing chains - F/S soon.
      2005 Accord - wife's DD
      2008 Mountaineer - step daughter's DD
      2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

Thank you for your response Larry! Sitting or moving in neutral, no noise (clutch depressed or not).

I will try that this evening, I will turn the engine off with the transmission in gear and out of gear and get back with you. Thanks!

Originally posted by Larry Hampton View Post
        When sitting still in neutral, clutch not depressed, does it click, or only when moving? When driving on an open road with no other cars, turn the engine off while in a high gear and see it the ticking remains.

Comment

CV Joint(s)?

Comment

Well, I feel like an idiot! Had it up in the garage today to do some work on the exhaust, had it completely off the ground, started it up and let it warm up in gear. Sitting in the car for a while easing on and off the gas, the clicking started, pressing on the gas to accelerate, the clicking would continue consistently, let off the gas it would stop. Went to get under the car to look around, but decided to listen in the engine bay. Pulled the accelerator a few times and the sound led me straight to this relay/switch! Under slight load (pressing on the gas) it would start clicking consistently, keep the wheel speed steady, clicking continues, let off the gas slightly, it would stop!

I feel 1000 times better but do feel like an idiot! I do not have a manual, anyone know what this is?

Thank you for helping me out with this and I apologize for the wasted time. Maybe someone else with this ticking noise will see this and not go through the trouble.

Comment

soleniod valve for the fuel vapor canister
              -Zack
              Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

Thank you! A friend told me that this morning before work. Thanks for all the help guys!

Comment

So the sound is normal? I have the exact same sound and situations. Makes me crazy worrying it's a lifter issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice diagnostic job.
                    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Working...
                    X