Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So the last step to making my car legal.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So the last step to making my car legal.

I need to get the title transferred into my name, and get the Texas plates to Colorado plates. Before they will allow me to get it transferred into my name or get CO plates they want the car to pass an emissions test.

A buddy of mine told me to increase my chances of passing to Sea Foam it. He also said to put one gallon of Trix(sp?) Racing Fuel. I guess it's a high octane. After I put a gallon of the racing fuel in to top it off with regular fuel.

Do you guys have any tips or suggestion? Also we have three grades of fuel in CO. We have 85 octane, 87 octane, and 91 or 92 I don't remember the last one. Should I add the lowest octane one or the 87 with the racing fuel?

Black '89 Ford Festiva L with 4 Speed Manual Transmission

I know that here in Ohio using a higher octane rated gas will cause you to fail emissions. If the car doesn't call for high octane then the unburned gases will go out the tail pipe causing the car not to pass.
    Brian
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
    :fish:

Comment

Okay maybe I'll just Sea Foam it. Is there anything else I should do to increase my chances of passing?

Someone also told me that since it came from a lower elevation (Texas) and came to a higher elevation (Colorado) that it might not pass because the idle and fuel intake needs to be adjusted because it's now in a high elevation, he said the emissions tester can adjust it. Is this true?

Comment

Originally posted by 25Horseplay
        I know that here in Ohio using a higher octane rated gas will cause you to fail emissions. If the car doesn't call for high octane then the unburned gases will go out the tail pipe causing the car not to pass.
        So should I use 85 or 87 gas?

Comment

I have always used the lowest octane available when going for emissions test. Make sure your timing is set right also.
          Brian
          http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
          :fish:

Comment

A universal O2 sensor is $18 and a new pcv valve is $3-4. Both are easy to change and will make the car run better also. Check plugs, wires, cap and rotor.

BP Festiva http://www.cardomain.com/ride/723319 - SOLD
            BPT Festiva www.cardomain.com/ride/2260009 - SOLD
            BPT GTX www.cardomain.com/ride/2436495 - SOLD
            New GTX - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3294846/ - SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by mattswabb
              A universal O2 sensor is $18 and a new pcv valve is $3-4. Both are easy to change and will make the car run better also. Check plugs, wires, cap and rotor.
              I've checked the wires, replaced plugs, changed oil, the pcv valve is fine and the o2 sensor's fine. I'm going to sea foam it right now though.

Comment

in Missouri this is what i do. i pull a spark plug wire off and let it fail so the initial reading is bad. then the next i put the spark plug wire back on i take it back to see if it has passed. the reasoning is that in Missouri there has to be an improvement on the first readings to get a waiver so by letting it fail real bad no matter what you do it will be an improvement of the initial readings. you should have seen the faces of the employees of the emissions place when it failed the first time.

Comment

Make sure that the car is really warm too. You get better readings if the car is on the warm to hot side.
                  90 Festiva with Brand new B3, 5spd
                  92 B6 Festiva, 5spd
                  94 Mustang DSS 331, Vortec S-Trim, 5 spd
                  94 Mustang GT, stock, automatic

Comment

Originally posted by miami man
                    in Missouri this is what i do. i pull a spark plug wire off and let it fail so the initial reading is bad. then the next i put the spark plug wire back on i take it back to see if it has passed. the reasoning is that in Missouri there has to be an improvement on the first readings to get a waiver so by letting it fail real bad no matter what you do it will be an improvement of the initial readings. you should have seen the faces of the employees of the emissions place when it failed the first time.

Missouri???

Where at in Missouri do you have to do an emissions test? I have been driving for 24 years and never had to do emissions test to license my cars or trucks. You must be in or near St. Louis?
                    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid sideways totally worn out, shouting...holy sh!t FESTIVA!!!!!!!

Comment

yes st.Louis but it is already spreading out to other counties in Missouri maybe someday it will make it to county near you if the population grows.
                      in about 1 and and half years from now no cars will need emissions tested if built before 1996 so good news for 4 of my vehicles.

Comment

Working...
                      X