Sloppy Shifter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sloppy Shifter

My 92 5spd Festiva, just turned over 180k, has developed a floppy, rubbery feeling shifter. I haven't crawled under it yet, but I replaced all the shift rod bushings about 2 years ago. Recently it got hard to shift after driving awhile. I had to pull harder on the shifter to get it out of gear. Trans is full of oil. Any ideas? Thanks.

I hope your shifter seat ball isn't cracked inside your shifter.
    I personally recommend Corksport bronzoil bushings. They last longer and there is no floppy, rubbery feeling.
    Last edited by bravekozak; 03-01-2014, 06:35 PM.

Comment

I have the Corksport bronzoil bushings. they are nice but they vibrate and I had to buy two sets because were they vibrate my bolt came loose and feel out going down the highway. that was a long day had to use anything I had to get it limped home. so I Loctite and permatexed the second set

Comment

blue, I use metric nyloc nuts. They will never fall off or allow it to vibrate loose.
        Last edited by bravekozak; 03-01-2014, 07:35 PM.

Comment

here in the Philippines I use plastic shifter bushings, it works but only last for about 7 to 8 months only

Comment

Originally posted by bravekozak View Post
            blue, I use metric nyloc nuts. They will never fall off or allow it to vibrate loose.
            Brave -

So do the metric nylon nuts minimize the vibration in the stick or not? You talk about how they won't fall off or vibrate loose but what about actually minmizing the vibration in the stick (a possible downside that Corksport admits on their site).
            88L - 'Twistiva' - 'The Fusion of Man and Machine'
            88LX - 'Laztiza' - Future Resurrection Project
            91L - 'Mistiva' - My Daughter's DD
            93L - 'Vextiva' - Airport Car

Comment

Originally posted by Twistiva View Post
              So do the metric nylon nuts minimize the vibration in the stick or not? You talk about how they won't fall off or vibrate loose but what about actually minmizing the vibration in the stick (a possible downside that Corksport admits on their site).
              It's the material the bushings are made of that determines vibration; the bolt has nothing to do with it.
              90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
              09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
                It's the material the bushings are made of that determines vibration; the bolt has nothing to do with it.
                Correct. That's why I asked about the nylon nuts and not bolts. I would think the nylon nuts would dampen the vibrations considerably.
                88L - 'Twistiva' - 'The Fusion of Man and Machine'
                88LX - 'Laztiza' - Future Resurrection Project
                91L - 'Mistiva' - My Daughter's DD
                93L - 'Vextiva' - Airport Car

Comment

Originally posted by Twistiva View Post
                  Correct. That's why I asked about the nylon nuts and not bolts. I would think the nylon nuts would dampen the vibrations considerably.
                  They are Nylock nuts; steel nuts with a nylon insert in them to act as friction for locking. Not nuts made of nylon.
                  Last edited by TominMO; 07-03-2015, 07:07 PM.
                  90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                  09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

I use a thin film of nanogrease on my shifter bolt.

Comment

What do I search or does anyone have a part# for the corksport shifter bushings?

Comment

Try this link
                        "Blue92"- 92L 5 spd, original owner- 185K, B8,DD..
                        "Pedro"-88L 5-spd, B6D (built by Advancedynamix)
                        "Blanca"-92 GL auto, 125K(FM8 Lowest Miles)- B6 daughter's DD
                        "Tractor Blue"- 89 L auto, 110K
                        "Chester"-88 LX, runs but not street legal
                        "Wenona"-89L parts car
                        "Flame"- 89 LX 5 spd ,parts car

Comment

Does anyone know the dimensions of a drop in replacement bolt for the shifter end. Mine is almost rotted away. I'll pull it today and measure if no one knows.
                          Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
                          91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

Never mind. I'll just use a 1/2" bolt. I can't even get shoulder bolts at Lowes here, and the only nylon lock nuts for a 1/2" bolt are so thick I have to use a 3" long bolt to even make it work. Stupid town with no economy. :evil:
                            Last edited by sketchman; 09-09-2015, 02:19 PM.
                            Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
                            91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

Working...
                            X