Kevyrev's 91 FESTIVA: progress thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kevyrev's 91 FESTIVA: progress thread

In this thread I'll be posting as I go along with mods and repairs to my car. My thoughts are to clean up the interior by painting the inside panels, seat covers, and some engine work for now. In a year or two, I will probably rebuild the engine.

First thing I've done, as some of you gave lots of support and advice was to troubleshoot my fuel pump, which led me to replacing the pump which was absolutely successful.

unnamed (4).jpg unnamed (5).jpg unnamed (3).jpg

Two pics here of extremely varnished pump and then new pump, actually mostly hanger bracket, sorry. That strainer pictured came with new pump and hit the bottom of tank. It was about an inch lower than the pump as in the pic. Had to replace with one that went out horizontal as did the original.

On to the engine degreasing!! I picked up two bottles of mean green degreaser from dollar store and it did a nice job. I will do it again soon.

before.jpg after.jpg timing side before.jpg timing side after.jpg

engine before.jpg engine after.jpg
    Last edited by kevyrev; 03-03-2014, 09:06 AM.

Comment

Looks great thus far! Keep up the awesome work.
      1988 Chevy Sprint Turbo 997cc

Comment

And don't forget the wash and wax that followed the degreaser...

Last edited by kevyrev; 03-03-2014, 09:06 AM.

Comment

nice job!
          Never Hire a Boy to do a Man's Job!!

Comment

Got to work on removing the valve cover today. Absolutely horrid! Gasket is hard as plastic and cracks as you bend it. I have lots of cleanup to do and will post after pics soon!

vc5.jpg valves.jpg 23 years of sludge.jpg valve cover.jpg vc1.jpg vc2.jpg vc3.jpg vc4.jpg
            Last edited by kevyrev; 03-08-2014, 12:01 PM.

Comment

Was wondering where I can find the very small rubber seals that go around the small screws that hold the inner plate on over the pcv chamber.

Comment

Use a tiny dab of silicone on the ribs.

The previous owner obviously did not perform timely oil changes.
                Believe it or not, I have seen a lot worse.
                Last edited by bravekozak; 03-08-2014, 08:28 PM.

Comment

Yeah nice tip, that would work, thanks bravekozak! Yeah that valve cover was pretty bad. The pcv valve was stopped up like a truck stop toilet! I was cleaning away at the inside of the cover and for a second forgot what I was doing and thought I was cleaning out the bottom of a BBQ grill, lol!

Comment

My new factory valve cover had black silicone holding the baffle in place. I decided to remove the screws and send the cover + baffle in for ceramic coating. I would have bent the baffle trying to remove it.

I have seen it bridged with crud between the inner ribs so that no airflow to the PCV valve would ever occur, even if it was replaced.
                    Last edited by bravekozak; 03-08-2014, 11:07 PM.

Comment

That is a nasty looking fuel pump.

As far as I know, mine is still factory with over 310k miles, and looks brand spanking new still. I am willing to bet it is factory because so was the fuel filter, the fuel sock was pretty clean, and the inside of the tank wasn't bad either, just some stuff floating in the gas that was still left at the bottom of the tank after I replaced it since it was leaking.

I do know now after changing the fuel sock, I am able to use all 10 gallons in the tank now. I actually filled up at BP, and it clicked off just over 10 gallons.
                      Last edited by TorqueEffect; 03-09-2014, 03:14 AM.
                      1991 Ford Festiva BP (Full Aspire/Rio Swap) (337k Miles) (Around 95k Engine)
                      2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2L DOHC Ecotec (Threw a Rod)
                      1998 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.1 V6 (225k miles) Best MPG = 28

Comment

Here are a few pics of the cleaned up valve cover.

vc11.jpg vc22.jpg vc33.jpg

Comment

New axles to be installed soon!

ax.jpg
                          Last edited by kevyrev; 03-17-2014, 02:41 PM.

Comment

Also popped in the new pcv valve and grommet. It was clogged inside the valve cover, the pcv valve itself, and the hose leading away from the valve, all clogged!

Comment

Invalid attachment specified.

What condition was your oil in when you changed it?
                              Last edited by bravekozak; 03-17-2014, 02:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X