Rear spring question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear spring question

Just a quick question.... can the rear springs be removed without unbolting the bottom bolt of the strut?

Thanks
    Ian
    Calgary AB, Canada
    93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
    59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

rear bottom strut bolt

If you decide against it:

I had to have someone with a torch and an air wrench loosen the bottom bolt on the driver's side and this if I remember correctly is not an uncommon thing on any car because there is more weather on that side.

Remember to put anti-sieze on every damned bolt you ever take apart is my motto.(when reassembling of course)
    '91 Festiva L/'73 Windsor Carrera Sport custom

(aka "Jazz Bobstad," "The BobWhan," etc.)

Art is the means whereby(a) society advances: Religion is the definition of the parameters of art. Poetry is the actualization of these...

Comment

I not sure, but Id say no. The spring would have to go off the top or the bottom end of the strut. Without removing the bottom I don't think the top of the strut would swing out the the strut tower w/o removing lower strut bolt. Unless you could corkscrew it off. But then you would have to get a new spring on the same way w/o damaging the dust boot. The bottom strut bolt can be a pita to get off. At least in my experience.
      sigpic
      The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
      https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
      Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

I have done it before, but it was a bitch.
        Brian
        http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
        :fish:

Comment

Originally posted by 25Horseplay
          I have done it before, but it was a bitch.
          I did it and I have to agree, especially on the driver's side.... front's get done tomorrow.

Thanks for the input.
          Ian
          Calgary AB, Canada
          93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
          59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

Could be worse...

Couldn't a person jack the car up and drop the torsion beam and do it that way if they had to?(the rear "axle" so to speak)
            '91 Festiva L/'73 Windsor Carrera Sport custom

(aka "Jazz Bobstad," "The BobWhan," etc.)

Art is the means whereby(a) society advances: Religion is the definition of the parameters of art. Poetry is the actualization of these...

Comment

Might work if you disconnect everything, brake lines, e brake cable etc.
              Brian
              http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
              :fish:

Comment

Working...
              X