engine wont turn over...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• engine wont turn over...

I just replaced my engine and got the new alternator went to start it didnt turn over but there was a small clicking sound. is there an easy(ish) way to tell if its top dead center? if so would that be a cause for it not to start but click? anyone near U-city STL, MO? got some '88 parts if someone close could lend a hand... Thanks everyone.
    starter-4spd trans-rad
    '93 Ford Festiva "RedRum"
    L Series, 5 Speed, Fun-Top
    Renaissance W. R.

If it clicks, its a starter issue.

Comment

Originally posted by koRnhead View Post
      If it clicks, its a starter issue.
      Is there a way to test it to see if its bad? it worked fine before i took it off the bad engine. also, if it is bad, is there a way to use an 88' starter on a '93 wiring system?
      Renaissance W. R.

Comment

It might be stuck. Give a few light taps. It may be engaged on the flywheel. Rockin the car may help. Make sure all your connections are tight/ clean.

Sent from Kingston Ga from my hillbilly handheld
        90 festy with 92 FI motor. Digital camo paint. BHAF. short throw. currently 47 MPGs

Comment

I would check the connections first. Since you changed engines. But yes, you will be able to swap starters. And they do die for no reason. One time they work, next they dont. Since you are a 5 speed. You can bump start it to make sure it runs.

Comment

ok swapped starters made sure it was tdc and yet the same result, im honestly baffled right now. im not sure what to do now except try to find another festivian here in St. Louis to see if they could take a look at it. Any ideas? thanks everyone for the help
            Renaissance W. R.

Comment

Does it still click when you try to start it? Do you have all the grounds attached? What about your fusible links?

Comment

Have you tried bump starting it? Just to see if it runs? That will narrow down possibilities in a hurry.

Comment

Originally posted by koRnhead View Post
                  Have you tried bump starting it? Just to see if it runs? That will narrow down possibilities in a hurry.
                  Well I've checked the grounds all seem to be good and tight, i haven't bump started it because there isn't a lot of room to do that but i will see if that could work, i have maybe 15 ft if that to bump start it though. question, would bump starting it possibly cause something to mess up? and i had blown my main fuse next to the battery twice before i realized that it was the old alt that was needing to be replaced. and the fuse thats in it now doesnt look like the rest of the ones i've seen. would that be a reason that it would click and not start?
                  Thanks guys, i imagine my car is probably driving some of you crazy as its killing me and im sorry. although id rather ask 1 question 1000 times and get it right than to ask once and get it wrong.
                  Renaissance W. R.

Comment

Stupid question. Battery dead?

Comment

Guess I have a second question. Can you turn the engine over by hand?

Comment

Originally posted by ratorrey View Post
                        Stupid question. Battery dead?
                        battery is good as far as i can tell, lights come on door buzzer sounds off. what do yo mean turn it over by hand? dont know if its the same but im able to turn it to put it in tdc...and ordered a temp sensor cause mine had broke but figured that wouldnt be a cause for it to not start. If i can ill try to get a vid up of me trying to start it so everyone can hear what it is doing, may help with the problem solving...
                        Renaissance W. R.

Comment

Originally posted by ratorrey View Post
                          Guess I have a second question. Can you turn the engine over by hand?
                          does it turn clockwise or counter clockwise?
                          would it be possible that the engine has seized? it ran just fine when i got the donor car. but it hasnt ran since i started taking it out (about a month ago) plus it has gotten down to -4 in mid February, so would the very cold have a part to play in the no starting?
                          Renaissance W. R.

Comment

I would say only if there's incompressible fluid in the cylinders. Were the intake/exhaust ports or the spark plug holes exposed to rain or snow at all ever? If so, you'll have to get that moisture out by either vacuuming it with a reduction fitting to get into the cylinders or crank it over with the spark plugs out.
                            1988 Chevy Sprint Turbo 997cc

Comment

Originally posted by Aaronbrook37 View Post
                              I would say only if there's incompressible fluid in the cylinders. Were the intake/exhaust ports or the spark plug holes exposed to rain or snow at all ever? If so, you'll have to get that moisture out by either vacuuming it with a reduction fitting to get into the cylinders or crank it over with the spark plugs out.
                              It was sitting in the garage, it was dry but cold. Know of anyone/place i can find a fusible link? because i blew one and the spare i have doesnt look like the old one so dont know if that is a problem. its just the main fuse out of the three next to the battery. plus i just looked into autozone, napa, advance and o'reillys which dont have the one im needing.
                              Renaissance W. R.

Comment

Working...
                              X