Replacing front brakes and bearings.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing front brakes and bearings.

I read in a Mitchell manual that the rotors and hubs on my 91 festiva are a balanced set, and to mark the rotors and hubs so that I bolt them back together in the same alignment that I took them off. Is it safe for me to just put on new rotors? Is there an alignment mark if putting on new rotors? Should I just turn the old ones and let them be a little thinner then recommended?
    Josh Z.

First get yourself a workshop manual from ebay , don't trust the Mitchell manuals too much, they are very very generic. Second, yes you can put new rotors in. And no, there are no marks for alignment.
    Never run rotors that are wear beyond the spec limit. Read here in the forum about the headaches that the front bearings are before you take anything apart.
    once you have read enough and get the proper set of tools and manuals, go right ahead...

Comment

Already have everything apart including the races out. Getting the dealership tool for bearing spacer measurement tomorrow. I'm not a noob to mechanics in some ways . So, my new rotors will be installed no fear. BUT, what about acquiring the right bearing spacers if my current spacers decide not to like the new bearings from national? Btw, my old rotors are like half moons on either side, hense they don't work great, caliper bushings didn't help, so replacement seemed best.
      Josh Z.

Comment

That is why most ff.com members recommend upgrading from smaller Festiva solid rotors to larger Aspire vented rotors. You will have much greater stopping power.
        Last edited by bravekozak; 03-06-2014, 11:52 PM.

Comment

The spacers match the hubs so (should) work with all replacement bearings. Bearings are made to spec but not these hubs.
          That's why each hub needs to be matched to a spacer to provide the right spacing between inner and outer bearings.
          Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Awesome news watt, I was smart enough to keep the spacer with the hub it came off of. Just so we now, I DO have the wheel bearing spacer tool for checking bearing preload. There's a place called freedom racing in Lamoni, IA that sells obscure automotive tools that aren't manufactured anymore but can be purchased.
            Josh Z.

Comment

good luck with the bearings!! I hate doing those!!! use a good grease though!!

Comment

Originally posted by Fordverde View Post
                good luck with the bearings!! I hate doing those!!! use a good grease though!!
                Thanks. I'm surrounded by good maintenance mechanics and all the tools needed at work so it's going pretty smooth.
                Josh Z.

Comment

Working...
                X